This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
In this super easy pesto pizza the crispy crust is topped with mozzarella, scrumptious basil pesto and pine nuts. it’s so fresh, flavorful and amazingly good.
The recipes uses my easy no-knead dough recipe that you can make in just 1 bowl and it turns out perfectly every single time!
I’ll never say no to pizza, and I absolutely love any sort of vegetarian topping, from this Greek pizza with feta to this veggie pizza or artichoke pizza. They’re so easy to whip up and a million times better and cheaper than regular delivery pizzas.
And this freshly baked pesto pizza with its crispy crust and juicy topping is another amazing pizza recipes to add to your repertoire.
The contrast of textures, the richness of basil pesto and melty-mozzarella glory are just perfect to please vegetarians and meat lovers alike!
Make your easy pizza dough, grab some homemade or good-quality store-bought pesto, and make the pesto pizza recipe of your dreams.
Yes, you’re going to love it!
List of the ingredients
- Easy pizza dough: flour, instant or active yeast, salt, olive oil, water.
- Fresh mozzarella (or firm shredded mozzarella)
- Basil pesto (homemade or jarred)
- Pine nuts (optional)
- Salt & pepper
How to make pesto pizza
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Start by making this dough (video tutorial included, easy peasy).
- Make your own homemade basil pesto (recipe here) or use good-quality store-bought pesto.
- When the dough is ready and fluffy, stretch it into a large rectangular shape (approximately 9×13 inches). I use some parchment paper then I transfer the pizza with parchment paper onto a hot pizza stone.
- Spread the pesto on top, scatter with diced mozzarella, pine nuts, salt, pepper.
- Bake until golden and deliciously crispy. Enjoy!
Pesto pizza ingredients
Homemade pizza dough: I use my fav 1 bowl pizza dough that uses all-purpose flour, yeast, olive oil, water and salt. You can find the full recipe and all the tips to make it here. But you can certainly use your favorite store bought pizza dough to speed up the process.
Mozzarella: I love using fresh whole milk mozzarella in water for my pizza recipes, but shredded low moisture option works too if you prefer.
Pesto: fresh homemade basil pesto is obviously the best for a great pesto pizza, but you can also rely on good-quality store-bought pesto, preferably if it’s fresh (you’ll find it in the prepared food/refrigerated section).
Pine nuts: I know, they’re a bit pricey, buy you need just half tablespoon for a nice crispy touch. I leave them totally optional.
Salt and pepper: make sure you add some salt and freshly ground black pepper before baking. I also love a touch of sea salt flakes before serving.
Tips for succes!
- Preheat the oven. You want a super hot oven!
- Bake the pizza on the bottom rack, close to the heating element. This is the best spot in my oven to make the pizza bottom crispy. But since each oven is different, use the position that works best for you.
- Stretch the pizza dough using your fingers and try to keep all those gas bubbles inside the dough. No rolling pin, please.
- Bake your pizza on a hot pizza stone or pizza steel. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray (see my tips in the recipe card!).
- Use parchment paper and a pizza peel (or the back of a baking sheet) to transfer your pizza to the hot stone. This helps greatly if you use a high-hydration dough like my no-knead dough.
More easy pizza recipes?
Here a few of our favorites:
- Mozzarella pizza
- Olive pizza
- Pizza with eggplants
- Fresh tomato pizza
- Pizza with peppers
- Quick Caprese pizza
- Spinach pizza
If you make this scrumptious pesto pizza, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
- 1 easy pizza dough (or your fav dough)
- 1 cup (180 grams) diced fresh mozzarella in water (or ½ cup of shredded mozzarella)
- ¼ cup basil pesto sauce
- ½ tablespoon pine nuts
- ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Follow the easy no-knead pizza recipe through step 5, including shaping the pizza and preheating the oven.
- Shape the dough: when the dough is ready follow step 5, place the dough on a parchment paper sheet and starting from the center, gently press it out with your fingers until you get approx a 9×13 inch pizza. Then gently place the dough onto a pizza peel or onto the back of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the topping: firstly, dice the mozzarella and pat it dry using some kitchen towels to reduce the extra moisture. Spread the pesto sauce evenly, top with diced mozzarella, scatter a few pine nuts, sprinkle with some fine salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake the pizza: when the oven is hot, use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone or hot baking sheet. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, approx 15 minutes. Each oven is different, keep an eye on it (e.g. in a forced fan oven it will take about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve: allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before serving, but don't add extra olive oil (you'll have enough from the pesto sauce). Slice and serve immediately.