This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Simple yet delicious, the combination of crispy pizza crust and melty-cheese-savory glory makes this mozzarella pizza sure to please everyone!
The recipe uses my no-knead pizza dough, super easy to make in 1 bowl.
But there’s one thing we all can agree on: crispy crust and creamy mozzarella.
And for the truly classic pizza experience, we absolutely need fresh mozzarella (if you ask Italians!), and for good reason.
We love its ability to melt and stretch nicely in the oven, we love its rich, satisfying texture, we love its fresh milky flavor.
Our love for fresh, moist mozzarella is undeniable, that’s why here on the blog you’ll find only recipes featuring fresh mozzarella balls packed in water.
But I know how pre-shredded low-moisture mozzarella is top pick for many. It’s convenient, it’s sold in vacuum sealed bags with long shelf life, and it melts very well.
And it works fine for this mozzarella pizza recipe if you wish, however, I think that fresh mozzarella gives the best result, and if you’ve never tried it for pizza, you might want to give it a go. : )
Lastly, whatever mozzarella you prefer or whatever fancy toppings you love, it’s hard to resist a slice of a simple, oh-so delicious, gooey mozzarella pizza!
List of the ingredients
- Easy no knead pizza dough (or your fav pizza dough)
- Fresh or low-moisture mozzarella
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh basil, garlic, chili flakes (optional)
How to make mozzarella pizza
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Start by making this 1-bowl dough (or use your fav recipe).
- When the dough is ready, stretch it into a large rectangular shape.
- Top with mozzarella, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper.
- Bake until golden and deliciously crispy.
- Drizzle again with extra virgin olive oil, and enjoy!
Mozzarella pizza ingredients
Homemade pizza dough: this no-knead pizza dough is super easy to whip up in 1 bowl and makes a sensational crispy crust. But you’re welcome to use your favorite homemade or store-bought pizza dough if you wish.
Mozzarella: I use only fresh whole milk mozzarella balls packed in water for my pizza recipes, I think it’s the best mozzarella for pizza. But the shredded low moisture option works too if you prefer.
Extra virgin olive oil: for the best flavor, I add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil before and after baking.
Salt and pepper: make sure you add salt and freshly ground black pepper (this mozzarella topping needs them!). I also love a touch of sea salt flakes before serving.
Herbs: fresh basil is my fav in this recipe, but dried oregano works fine too.
Garlic: it lends a subtle garlic flavor that goes very well with the mozzarella topping (optional)
Note: it’s important to pat dry the diced fresh mozzarella and not to overload the pizza with it.
Easy tips for success!
- Preheat the oven. A burst of initial heat from the hot oven is so important!
- Bake the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven, close to the heating element. This is the best spot in my oven to make the pizza bottom crispy. But since each oven is different, use the position that works best for you.
- NO rolling pin! Stretch the pizza dough using your fingers and try to keep all those gas bubbles inside the dough.
- Bake your pizza on a hot pizza stone or pizza steel. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray (see my tips in the recipe card!) and make sure the pizza stone is inside during preheat, so it’s already hot when you bake your pizza.
- Use parchment paper and a pizza peel (or the back of a baking sheet) to transfer your pizza to the hot stone. This helps greatly if you use a high-hydration dough like my no-knead dough.
- Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for more flavor!
Fancy more easy pizza recipes?
Here a few of our favorites:
- Greek pizza
- Olive pizza
- Pizza with eggplants
- Fresh tomato pizza
- Pizza with peppers
- Artichoke pizza
- Quick Caprese pizza
- Spinach pizza
If you make this terrific mozzarella pizza, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
- 1 easy pizza dough (or your fav dough)
- 2 mozzarella balls packed in water (or shredded low moisture mozzarella)*
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ¼ tsp fine salt (plus extra sea salt flakes to serve, optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Follow the easy no-knead pizza recipe through step 5, including shaping the pizza and preheating the oven.
- Shape the dough: when the dough is ready follow step 5, place the paper sheet or parchment paper onto a pizza peel or onto the back of a rimmed baking sheet. Then place the dough on this parchment paper, and starting from the center, gently press it out with your fingers until you get approx a 9×13 inch pizza.
- Add the topping: firstly, if you use fresh mozzarella in water, slice or dice it and place it on a kitchen towel or kitchen paper. Add another folded piece of paper towel on top, pat it dry to absorb excess moisture let it dry for at least 10 minutes. Finally add it evenly to the pizza, sprinkle some salt on top (I use approx ¼ heaping teaspoon of fine salt), freshly ground black pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake the pizza: when the oven is hot, use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the mozzarella cheese and crust are nicely browned, approx 15 minutes. But each oven is different, keep an eye on it (e.g. in a forced fan oven it will take about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve: allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before serving, drizzle with good-quality extra virgin olive oil and scatter fresh basil leaves and sea salt flakes (optional). Slice, serve immediately, enjoy!