This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
If you’ve never tried pizza with gorgonzola before, it’s time for you to meet one of the best pizza toppings ever! The crispy pizza crust, the indulgently creamy gorgonzola and the toasty walnuts are crazy delicious!
The recipe uses my easy no-knead pizza dough that you can make in 1 bowl, but obviously you can use your fav dough if you wish. Just make it! : )
Pizza has been my fav comfort food as long as I can remember. I make pizza with any sort of vegetables and cheese, from this Greek pizza with feta to this veggie pizza or artichoke pizza. Honestly, I love (ehm… kind of obsessed) with all my pizza recipes!
But when I make this pizza with gorgonzola, it blows me away. It’s AMAZING! The crispy crust, the rich blue cheese and the golden walnuts are a marriage made in heaven. And I’m not exaggerating, am I?!
First of all, have you ever tasted gorgonzola? The most famous Italian blue cheese made from cow’s milk is soft with a slightly crumbly texture. It’s packed with an intense aroma without being too sharp or peppery as many blue cheeses can be.
Gorgonzola is just right: it has a complex rounded flavor and a thick creamy consistency that feels so decadent.
If you look at your local store, you might find the more intense gorgonzola piccante (90 days aged), and the gorgonzola dolce (60 days aged) which has a milder sweet flavor and it’s an excellent value for money. They both are great for this recipe.
Friends, go and buy all the ingredients to make this real treat. Once you try this recipe, you won’t order take-away pizza again!
Video: How to make easy pizza dough
List of the ingredients
- Pizza dough (follow this easy recipe, or use your fav dough)
- Gorgonzola dolce or piccante
- Fresh mozzarella in water (shredded mozzarella is fine too)
- Salt & pepper
How to make pizza with gorgonzola
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- First step, follow this recipe! It uses instant yeast and it’s easy to make in 1 bowl.
- When the dough has risen, it’s time to preheat the oven.
- Then stretch the dough gently into a rectangular shape.
- Top with mozzarella, gorgonzola, walnuts, and add some salt and black pepper.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes until golden and crusty!
Recipe notes & tips
Gorgonzola pizza ingredients
Homemade pizza dough: as usual I used my easy no-knead pizza dough, a real life changer! It’s a great recipe easy to make in one bowl and makes a delicious crispy crust. Have a look at the video tutorial, it’s a no brainer!
Cheese: the combination of gorgonzola cheese and mozzarella cheese works beautifully: gorgonzola brings its unique flavor, while the melted mozzarella makes the topping rich and creamier. Yes, you want to use both.
Walnuts: they get golden brown and toasted in the oven and their nutty flavor and crispiness go wonderfully with gorgonzola. Have I already mentioned that this match has been made in heaven? Sadly in this recipe – just in case you’re wondering – almonds can’t replace that awesomeness.
Salt & pepper: sprinkle some salt on the top and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Tips for the best gorgonzola pizza!
You want your pizza delicious and perfectly crispy, right? Me too. All you have to do is follow a few simple rules:
- NO rolling pin! It pushes out gas and bubbles. Use your fingers to stretch the pizza dough and try to keep all those nice gas bubbles that make your pizza crust light and airy. Rolling pin is for pastries, not for pizzas! ; )
- Place the rack in the lowest position close to the heating element. This is the sweet spot in my oven and makes the bottom golden and crispy. However, feel free to use the position that works best for your oven.
- Preheat the oven and make sure it’s hot. It’s crucial to give a burst of initial heat!
- Bake your pizza on a hot pizza stone or pizza steel. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray (see my tips in the recipe card!). When you preheat your oven, make sure the pizza stone is inside so it’s already hot and ready for your pizza. This avoid soggy bottom and makes the crust crispier.
- Use parchment paper and a pizza peel or the back of a baking sheet to transfer your pizza to the hot stone. This helps, especially if you use a sticky high-hydration dough like my easy no-knead dough.
Fancy some add-ins?
Although this pizza with gorgonzola is delicious as it is, you might love adding some extras, but what goes well with gorgonzola cheese?
Classic combinations: I love adding finely sliced red onion before baking, the contrast is amazing if you love big flavors.
Other popular combos are gorgonzola paired with caramelised onions cooked with a touch of balsamic vinegar and brown sugar. But if you feel more adventurous, try to add some sliced pear before baking; it might sound unusual, but it the contrast between sweet and savory is delicious!
Greens: you prefer leafy vegetables instead, wilted spinach or some fresh arugula added at the end work very well.
Cheese: a generous handful of grated parmesan cheese along with mozzarella is great. And if you add some diced Italian Fontina to the mix, you make a proper Italian 4 Formaggi (4 Cheese pizza). Yes, cheese makes everything better!
More amazing pizza recipes?
If you looks for vegetarian pizza recipes, this amazing collection of 17 veggie pizzas are perfect to inspire you! Here a few of my favs:
- Pizza with zucchini
- Pizza with peppers
- Spinach pizza
- Quick Caprese pizza
- Pizza with eggplant
- Onion pizza
- Easy no-knead Italian focaccia
- Olive pizza
- Mozzarella pizza
- Pesto pizza
If you make this pizza with gorgonzola this weekend, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
And for more recipe updates, subscribe my newsletter and follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Pizza with Gorgonzola
- 1 ball easy pizza dough (or your fav dough)
- 4 oz (120 grams) gorgonzola, dolce or piccante
- 4 oz (120 grams) fresh mozzarella in water, diced (or shredded firm mozzarella)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fine salt, to sprinkle before baking
- Follow the easy no-knead pizza recipe through step 5, including shaping the pizza and preheating the oven.
- Shape the dough: when the dough is ready follow step 5, place the dough on a parchment paper sheet and starting from the center, gently press it out with your fingers until you get approx a 9×13 inch pizza. Then gently place the dough onto a pizza peel or onto the back of a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the topping: top the dough evenly with mozzarella cheese, diced gorgonzola cheese and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top. Finish with freshly ground black pepper (a few cracks of the grinder are fine) and a pinch of fine salt evenly distributed.
- Bake the pizza: use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the cheese and crust are nicely browned. Each oven is different, keep an eye on it (e.g. in a forced fan oven it will take about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve: allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before. Slice and serve immediately. Serve with more freshly ground black pepper if you wish.
This is soooo good! I didn’t have walnuts but it was delicious anyway. I loved the no-knead dough too… so easy. Thanks for the recipe!
I’m so pleased to hear that! Thanks so much for your feedback, April. : )