This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
These roasted artichoke hearts with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese are deliciously crispy, infused with herb and garlic flavour. The perfect bite size appetizer which charms everyone who tries it!
Best of all, they are roasted in the oven, instead of fried and oily!
This recipe is a no brainer, it turns convenient canned artichoke hearts and a few pantry staples into an irresistible party food all year round.
They’re super easy to make, deliciously crunchy outside and tender inside, and they are perfect with your favorite dipping sauce.
All you have to do is toss the artichoke hearts with a simple marinade, transfer onto a baking dish, top them with a mix of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, and roast until they’re golden and crispy.
They make a light, healthy appetizer full of Mediterranean flavor and ready in less then 30 minutes.
Serve them hot or at room temperature at your next dinner party, they will be gone in no time!
List of the ingredients
- Canned artichoke hearts
- Parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- Dried garlic
- Salt & pepper
How to make roasted artichoke hearts
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Cut each artichoke heart into quarters and pat them dry. They must be fully drained before breading, otherwise the breading will become soggy.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs in a bowl.
- Gently toss the artichokes with the olive oil marinade.
- Transfer the artichoke hearts onto a large baking pan.
- Top each artichoke with a mix of breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and roast them in the hot oven for 20 minutes.
What’s in these roasted artichoke hearts
Artichoke hearts: I use canned artichoke hearts as they are already cooked through and ready to go. You’re welcome to use frozen, but thaw them first.
Marinade: extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, convenient garlic powder and dried parsley add so much flavor to the plain artichokes. You can also use Italian herb seasoning, oregano, or basil instead of parsley.
Breadcrumbs: to add a lovely crispy, crunchy texture when baked. You can make these roasted artichoke hearts gluten-free by using a gluten-free bread crumb mixture.
Parmesan cheese: it brings its rich, nutty and salty flavor, but If you wish a dairy-free option, you can skip the cheese.
Salt and pepper: for flavor.
Important tip: drain the artichokes and pat them dry well otherwise the breadcrumb mixture will become soggy, and bye-bye golden crispy coating!
More artichoke heart recipes?
If you love artichoke hearts and fancy more recipes featuring this great pantry staple, check out this collection of artichoke heart recipes. Below a few of my favs:
Looking for more appetizer recipes?
With all the holiday gatherings around the corner, I have these collections of 40+ Italian appetizers and 40+ party food ideas right for you!
Here a few more Italian appetizers to inspire you!
- You might like these quick and easy recipes like caprese skewers, spicy olives, sun dried tomato paste, chickpeas bruschetta, or marinated mozzarella.
- Turn the oven to bake terrific italian focaccia, tomato focaccia, focaccia with olives or crispy breadsticks. Also a delicious gorgonzola pizza or caprese pizza will be great for sharing!
- Fancy some Italian street food? These scrumptious Italian rice balls or mozzarella in carrozza are the perfect recipes for you!
If you make these roasted artichoke hearts, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you! x
And for more recipe updates, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Roasted Artichoke Hearts
- 1 can artichoke hearts, fully drained
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley or Italian seasoning (or your fav herbs)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or ½ garlic clove, finely grated)
- ⅙ teaspoon fine salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Mix breadcrumbs and grated parmesan cheese in a second small bowl.
- Cut each artichoke heart into quarters, pat them dry with kitchen paper, then add them to the marinade and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer the artichoke hearts onto a baking dish lined with parchment paper, and top them with breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing the coating with your fingers (you want the breadcrumbs to stick to the artichokes).
- Drizzle with some olive oil (you don't need extra salt) and bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, adding the grill in the last 5 minutes of the baking time for a crispier texture.
Leave a Reply