This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
These caprese salad skewers are a guaranteed crowd pleaser, SUPER easy to assamble, and deliciously fresh. Made with just three basic ingredients, this is one the best vegetarian appetizer recipes to make this summer.
They’re absolutely perfect for sharing, healthy and easy to transport!
It’s finally that time of the year! Eating “out” now mean literally outside. Gardens, patios, parks, BBQ parties and lovely fresh food to share with friends.
And these easy caprese salad skewers are the perfect appetizer for all these occasions!
Made with soft baby mozzarella cheese in water, ripe cherry tomatoes and fresh basil, these skewers are delightful, a breeze to put together, and they will be devoured in no time!
To provide more flavor, make sure you season and drizzle them with good extra virgin olive oil and a little touch of basil pesto, or balsamic glaze if you like.
Serve them with freshly made focaccia, olive focaccia or crispy breadsticks, or along with more terrific Italian appetizers for a sensational Italian-style get together! : )
List of the ingredients
- Fresh mozzarella in water
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make Caprese salad skewers
- First things first, use little wooden or bamboo skewers. You can certainly use toothpicks, but proper little skewers look pretty!
- Then layer a basil leaf, a cherry tomato and mozzarella onto a skewer followed by another fresh basil leaf, and repeat (if your skewer is long enough).
- Place them on a serving plate, season and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Why are they called Caprese salad skewers?
Caprese is the name of one of the most popular Italian salad. It’s made with sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella and fresh basil leaves and traditionally it’s served with only a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and salt.
I called this recipe caprese salad skewers because you have all those delicious ingredients layered onto colorful, inviting skewers. Well, this is hardly a recipe, it’s more a gathering of lovely fresh ingredients.
Use the best ingredients
Tomatoes: use ripe cherry tomatoes, they have the perfect bite size!
Mozzarella: you need fresh and soft mozzarella cheese in water for this recipe. I have used baby mozzarella, also known as ciliegine, cherry mozzarella or bocconcini because they are similar in size to the cherry tomatoes. If you don’t find them, you’re welcome to cut a large ball of fresh mozzarella into bite-sized pieces.
Fresh basil: its aromatic flavor is one of the key ingredients.
Extra virgin olive oil: this is the only condiment Italians use for Caprese salad. It’s so authentic, Mediterranean and doesn’t contain added sugar.
Pesto or balsamic glaze (optional): an additional drizzle of basil pesto pairs very well too with the rest of the ingredients. Alternatively, you’re welcome to use a drizzle of balsamic glaze if you like.
Salt & pepper: make sure you season your skewers properly before serving.
More Italian appetizers?
I’ve got you covered with these simple yet delicious appetizer recipes:
- Italian rice balls (aka arancini)
- Sun dried tomato paste
- Focaccia with tomatoes
- Chickpea bruschetta
- Mozzarella bruschetta
- Bread & beans
- Easy focaccia
- Artichoke bruschetta
- Marinated mozzarella
If you make this caprese salad skewers this weekend, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
And for more recipe updates, subscribe my newsletter and follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Caprese salad skewers
- 6 bamboo or wooden skewers
- 12 baby mozzarella balls (in water)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- salt, to sprinkle
- freshly ground black pepper, to sprinkle
- balsamic glaze or basil pesto, to drizzle (optional)
- Layer a basil leaf, a cherry tomato and a mini mozzarella ball onto a skewer followed by another fresh basil leaf, and repeat if your skewer is long enough. Otherwise use another skewer to make 12 small servings.
- Place all your lovely skewers on a serving plate, season with fine salt, pepper and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. You can also drizzle them with some basil pesto or balsamic glaze, if you wish. Serve at room temperature.
Leave a Reply