This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Marinated mozzarella balls are an easy appetiser that is full of delicious flavours. Garlic, extra virgin olive oil, herbs, pepper and a little chilli combine with the creamy mozzarella taste so delicious.
In my book, there are so many dishes that can be improved with mozzarella. I keep this fresh, versatile, creamy cheese in my fridge at all times to use in things like pizza (of course!), or caprese skewers, salad and bruschetta.
Is there anything cheese can’t fix? : )
And this simple mozzarella recipe is one of my go-to appetizers: quick to make, economical, versatile and fresh. It’s also naturally gluten–free and vegetarian.
The baby mozzarella balls are marinated in a combo of olive oil, garlic, herbs and seasonings, with a bit of heat for fun. I’ve kept things simple by using convenient dried herbs and some fresh parsley, but you can certainly play around using your fav fresh or dried herbs.
The recipe couldn’t be easier than this, but the end result is so YUMMY that I’m sure you’ll be making these marinated mozzarella balls again and again!
List of the ingredients
- Baby mozzarella balls
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Salt & pepper
How to make Marinated mozzarella balls
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Add the herbs, the garlic, the seasoning and the olive oil in a bowl and mix all the ingredients until well combined.
- Drain the baby mozzarella balls and add them to the marinade.
- Gently toss with a spoon to ensure each mozzarella ball is coated.
- Add to an airtight container and store in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
- Serve with crusty bread, buon appetito!
Mozzarella balls: this recipe works best with fresh mozzarella in water, especially baby mozzarella balls (bocconcini, ciliegine or pearls) which make the perfect bite-sized appetizer. Although visually less appealing, cubed fresh mozzarella will do too!
Extra virgin olive oil: it’s the key in this recipe, make sure you use good-quality olive oil for the best flavor.
Herbs: you can use dried oregano and Italian seasoning for their Mediterranean flavor, they both work very well with fresh mozzarella but you’re more than welcome to use only fresh herbs such as thyme and parsley.
Garlic: who doesn’t love that hint of garlic?!
Chili flakes: optional, for a touch of heat.
Salt & pepper: for this recipe I used cracked mixed peppercorns, I love the mild peppery flavor and the color along with fresh mozzarella. But feel free to use freshly ground black pepper instead, and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
How to serve marinated mozzarella balls
I love so much these marinated mozzarella balls because are super versatile, they make a fantastic Italian appetizer, but they’re also great to add flavor and texture to last minute salads or pastas.
It’s a no brainer to reach out the fridge and toss a few of them into this quick tomato basil pasta, pasta with zucchini or with arugula pesto or a fresh, simple lettuce salad. Also, you can use marinated mozzarella to top these scrumptious tomato focaccia or olive focaccia!
How to store them
Keep these marinated mozzarella balls in an airtight container in the refrigerator, they will last for up to 4 days. Once refrigerated the olive oil naturally solidifies, all you have to do is to remove the container from the fridge to bring it back at room temperature an hour before serving.
More Italian appetizers?
You might be interested in these terrific appetizer recipes perfect for an Italian-style dinner party with family and friends!
- Start with quick and easy recipes like caprese skewers, spicy olives, sun dried tomato paste or chickpeas bruschetta.
- Turn the oven to bake terrific italian focaccia, tomato focaccia, focaccia with olives or crispy breadsticks. Also a delicious gorgonzola pizza, artichoke pizza or caprese pizza will be great for sharing!
- Impress with these scrumptious Italian rice balls.
If you make these marinated mozzarella balls, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you! x
Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1 teaspoon oregano (or Italian herb seasoning)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes, optional
- 2 cups (300 grams) baby mozzarella balls, drained
- Add olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper and chili flakes to a bowl, mix with a fork or whisk until well combined.
- Drain the mozzarella balls, add them to the rest of the ingredients and toss until well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed, then toss again.
- Let the mozzarella marinated for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to four days, and serve at room temperature with crusty bread.