This tasty lettuce and egg salad is one of my favorite summer lunch recipes. It comes together in 15 minutes, it’s light yet flavorsome and makes a fresh, healthy meal.
You only need 4 ingredients like crisp lettuce gems, soft boiled eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, peppers + a bright lemon garlic dressing.
I tried to make this simple salad with other kinds of ingredients like fresh tomatoes or cucumber, but red pepper wins, it’s the tastiest. I’ve also added rich sun-dried tomatoes for some extra umami flavor, they go so well with the creamy eggs.
The result is a colorful and delicious bowl of salad!
Plus, It’s a breeze to put together, just toss the ingredients in a bowl and enjoy small portions as a side or larger portions as a light meal.
It’s easy, convenient, and full of flavor.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Gem lettuce
- Red pepper
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS LETTUCE & EGG SALAD:
(Full recipe at the bottom of the page)
- Boil your eggs (see notes)
- Add chop lettuce, pepper, sun-dried tomatoes to a salad bowl
- Toss the salad with the dressing
- Add soft boiled eggs, freshly ground pepper, and serve!
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS
HOW TO COOK YOUR EGGS
For this salad, I boil the eggs for 7-8 minutes, perfect for a soft but firmly set yolk. Not too runny, not to firm, just in between and perfect in a salad.
I’m a big fan of extra virgin olive oil, I think it’s the best choice when it comes to salads.
It’s so tasty, it features a long list of health benefits and it doesn’t go through an insane amount of processing. However, if you have a favorite oil for your salads, it will work fine.
LETTUCE AND EGG SALAD VARIATIONS
I love keeping my recipes simple yet flavorsome, however, this salad recipe is pretty versatile and you can add other ingredients if you wish.
Diced avocado (my favorite!), finely sliced red onions or green onion, black olives or grilled chicken if you don’t keep it vegetarian. They all make great variations and bring extra nutrients to your plate.
MORE QUICK VEGETARIAN SALAD?
I hope you like this lettuce and egg salad as much as we do, and let me know if you make it! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Lettuce and egg salad with sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 eggs, soft boiled
- 2 heads of gem lettuce or 1 large romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 red bell pepper or sweet long pepper, deseeded
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
- 1½ Tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or grated
- 1/4 tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, plus more to serve
- Eggs: bring the water up to a boil, then lower it to a vivid simmer. Using a tablespoon gently lower the eggs to the pot, and then switch the timer: cook 7-8 minutes for a firmly set, but still soft, yolk.
- Salad: Wash the lettuce leaves, dry well, and chop or tear into pieces. Wash and cut the pepper in half vertically, remove the seed and slice it crosswise. Roughly chop the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Dressing: while the eggs are cooking make the dressing whisking the ingredients in a small jug or just put everything in a jam jar and shake. (The recipe calls only 1/4 tsp of salt, but you can adjust the seasoning later according to your taste).
- Place the vegetables in a large salad bowl, pour the dressing and toss to combine. Taste and make sure you're happy with the seasoning.
- Peel the eggs, cut them into halves or quarters, place over the salad and serve with freshly ground black pepper.