This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This spicy chickpea salad makes a terrific protein-packed lunch. It’s vegan, healthy, it requires cupboard ingredients and comes together in a snap.
And it’s so easy: open a few cans of chickpeas, and a jar of roasted peppers and olives. Combine the dressing in a jar. Mix them all together and you’re done.
It’s spicy, garlicky, with lots of zips thanks to the chili flakes and the lemon mustard dressing.
I think this is my new favorite lunch at this time of the year. It’s super quick, juicy, fresh, and keeps me full for hours.
Not only is the combination of flavor beautiful, but it’s also budget-friendly and makes a delicious side dish to any summer gathering. And if you add crusty homemade bread or a baked frittata, it works as a main course.
It’s so good you’ll be eating it straight from the bowl!
What you need for this recipe
- Jarred roasted peppers
- Fresh parsley or some of this parsley pesto
- Extra virgin olive oil
- White or red vinegar
- Chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
How to make it
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas
- Chop parsley and red peppers
- Combine the dressing ingredient in a jar and give it a shake
- Place all the ingredients in a salad bowl and add the olives
- Mix all together and serve!
Recipe notes & tips
Chickpeas: same as garbanzo beans. Canned chickpeas are great for convenience, but cooked dried chickpeas work just fine and save you money.
Fresh herbs: you’ll want fresh and vitamin-packed parsley in this summer salad. And you happen not to have fresh parsley on hand, just skip it (but don’t use dried herbs, they won’t work in such a fresh salad).
Kalamata olives and roasted peppers bring extra flavor and texture. Plus, the roasted peppers have a touch of sweetness that works so well with the spicy dressing.
I used jarred roasted peppers, one of my favorite pantry staples.
Dressing: vinegar, extra virgin olive oil (my favorite!), and mustard make a flavorsome dressing. Add grated garlic (any garlic lover over there?) and red chili flakes for extra flavor. I’m a spicy lover, but if garlic and chili flakes are not your things, simply reduce their amount.
Chickpea salad variations
This super easy recipe is so versatile, you can add your favorite veggies and turn this chickpea salad into a more substantial meal. Vegetables like tomatoes, cucumber or avocado work beautifully!
If you want to add cheese, feta and mozzarella make another delicious variation. However, feta is pretty salty itself, and if you use it just add less salt to the dressing and make sure you’re happy with the overall flavor.
How long does this chickpea salad keep?
It keeps great for 3 days in the fridge and makes a great meal prep lunch option. Also, it gets better the longer it’s sitting out, making it an ideal salad for buffets.
More quick and tasty salads
- Cannellini bean salad (vegan)
- Italian Tomato and cucumber salad (vegan)
- Marinated tomato salad
- Beetroot and feta salad
- 15 easy holiday salads
If you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Spicy Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans (15oz/420gr each) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (200 grams) roasted peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp mustard
- 1-2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, or according to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Combine chickpeas, peppers, olives, and parsley in a medium salad bowl.
- Place the dressing ingredients in a jar, close the lid, and give a good shake. Alternatively, place them in a small bowl and whisk vigorously with a fork.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Serve it or leave it to marinate for about 20-30 minutes for a more intense flavor.