This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
If you love summer, you will love this tomato salad! It’s really everything you love about tomatoes: fresh and bright, yet full of flavour, and makes a delicious meal to have any time of the day.
So simple and so good, best served with soft olive focaccia or crusty bread such as panini rolls or pesto bread… totally delicious!
It’s packed with delicious tomatoes and a stellar dressing made with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, and parsley. And don’t forget the garlic – always a hint of garlic.
Plus, it can be ready in less than 10 minutes and makes the perfect side to just about any main of your summer gatherings… everyone will love it!
List of the ingredients
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
How to make it
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices and arrange in a large dish
- Combine oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a jar
- Close the lid and shake vigorously
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour
- Garnish with mozzarella, fresh herbs, and an additional drizzle of olive oil
Recipe notes & tips
I know I’m stating the obvious, but make sure you use juicy and ripe tomatoes (plum, roma, beef, on the vine work fine). Cut them into thick slices and if you notice they release too much water, just remove some before you add the dressing.
I don’t like it when tomatoes are too watery, they water down the dressing and I end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the bowl and less flavor.
Plus, go for fresh herbs and good extra virgin olive oil, they really make a big difference!
Looking for more tomato recipes?
- Fresh tomato pizza
- Italian tomato & cucumber salad
- Cherry tomato pasta salad
- Cannellini bean salad with tomatoes and olives
- Mediterranean bean, tomato, and tuna salad
Let me know you love these fresh and flavor-packed tomato salad, leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram.
I would love to hear from you!
The best marinated tomato salad
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, cut into thick slices ( I used on the vine tomatoes)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pressed
- fine salt & black pepper, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices and arrange in a large dish.
- Combine extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a jar (I usually measure 3/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper). Close the lid and shake vigorously to emulsify.
- Pour the dressing over the tomatoes, cover and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or more in the refrigerator.
- Bring the salad to room temperature before serving. Garnish with diced or torn mozzarella, additional fresh herbs and a good drizzle of olive oil if you like.Enjoy!