This raw cherry tomato pasta is summer on a plate! When ripe, juicy and bursting with flavor mini tomatoes are in season, all I want to do is make refreshing pasta dishes, salads, and bruschetta.
My dad used to bash cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden, garlic and basil together in a pestle, and the smell was simply incredible! He used to say it was pointless cooking delicious fresh tomatoes when you can have a fragrant, flavorsome no-cook pasta sauce ready in 5 minutes.
He was so right: mixing garlic, fresh tomatoes, basil, and extra virgin olive oil is the supreme example of a simple, delicious and healthy meal ready in no time.
We used to eat his raw cherry tomato “pesto” pasta al fresco, under the porch. And every time I make this simple recipe it’s like taking a sunny and lazy Italian break. I love that, and I hope you also enjoy this robust, flavorsome and refreshing pasta as much as I do, but make sure all the ingredients taste great.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Whole grain or white pasta
- Cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RAW CHERRY TOMATO PASTA:
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- In the meanwhile, chop cherry tomatoes
- Add grated garlic, extra virgin olive oil, shredded basil, salt, pepper and mix well
- Add the cooked pasta to the bowl, toss well and enjoy!
I love this flavorsome vegan pasta without cheese, but It’s also delicious with crumbled feta or mozzarella if you like. It is also perfect cold, for picnics, bbq party, lunch desk (meal prep) or a school lunch box in which case you might want to skip the garlic (my 4 years old loves raw cherry tomato pasta in his lunch box, but he’s not the biggest garlic fan).
Tomatoes: cherry tomatoes are perfect for this recipe, but any juice and ripe tomatoes work. If you go for large tomatoes, they might release too much water once are chopped; if they do, just drain them well before adding the other ingredients. I don’t like when tomatoes are too watery, I end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the bowl and less flavor.
I’m sure you will fall in love with this raw cherry tomato pasta and please let me know if you have a question.
Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram.
I would love to hear from you!
Raw cherry tomato pasta
- 2 cups ripe cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb whole grain or white pasta
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or grated
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1/4 tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- In the meanwhile, add chopped cherry tomatoes, extra virgin olive oil, pressed garlic, shredded basil, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Mix well and taste, you might want to adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Drain pasta and add to the bowl, toss well and serve immediately drizzling with extra olive oil and fresh basil.