This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
What to cook with penne? Here are 10 of my favourite penne pasta recipes perfect for speedy family dinners and delicious meatless meals.
Simple yet creative ideas to inspire you and to please everybody!
No wonder penne is arguably the most versatile pasta shape out there, and for good reason!
It’s convenient, it holds its shape and texture well, it goes beautifully with any creamy or chunky sauce, and it can also be baked making a wonderful satisfying meal.
We love this chunky tubular pasta with its angled ends that get coated and filled with sauce. This little trick makes penne perfect with almost every type of recipe, from decadent and creamy pasta sauce to chunky ones with plenty of vegetables.
And we love even more penne “rigate” that refers to those little ridges that help the pasta sauce cling to each tube beautifully.
How delicious is that?!
Now let’s check out some of our favorite penne pasta recipes, where you can find spicy penne arrabbiata, cream cheese penne, penne with pesto, penne loaded with veggies and more.
If you loved these penne pasta recipes…
I love carbs and could never get onto one of those low-carb diets out there, so if you’re looking for more pasta recipes, I’m happy to share also my vegan pasta recipes or this terrific collection of 13 Super Quick Pasta Recipes ready in less than 15 minutes.
Plus a few of more favorites:
- Pappardelle pasta
- Pasta with artichokes
- Tomato basil pasta
- Mushroom ricotta pasta
- 10-Minute pasta with olives
- Pasta with zucchini
- Tomato basil pasta
Lastly, I hope if you make and love one these penne pasta recipes, and if you have any questions, let me know. Leave a comment, send me a message, or rate it. I would love to hear from you!
10 Best Penne Pasta Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cups hot water, plus more if needed
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt, plus more to taste
- ⅙ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to serve
- 8 oz (220 grams) penne pasta, or other similar pasta shapes
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves, shredded
- ½ cup (4oz/120 grams) ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup (30 grams) grated parmesan, plus more to serve
- pinch of chili flakes, to serve
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm the olive oil then add garlic, paprika and oregano. Saute' for about 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, hot water, salt, pepper, the pasta, give a good stir and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover with a lid and cook until al dente (start checking the doneness according to the cooking time stated on the package, although it might take a bit longer with this method).
- Stir every 3-4 minutes and keep an eye on the amount of liquid. It might look a lot at first, but magically the pasta will absorb it by the end of the cooking time. But if at some point you think it needs more, just add a little bit of hot water.
- When the pasta is still al dente add the shredded basil leaves and give a good stir.
- Then finish with ricotta and parmesan cheese, stir to combine and serve immediately with extra parmesan cheese if you wish, and a good pinch of chili flakes. Enjoy!