This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Turn a bunch of inexpensive, healthy carrots into a delicious carrot raisin salad! It’s so fresh, full of flavor, and economical.
It also makes an easy vegetable side dish loaded with nutrients, gluten free and, if you skip the feta, it’s vegan too.
Carrots are terrific, they’re largely available all year round, budget-friendly, and so versatile. I always have carrots in the fridge ready to make carrot soups, quick side dishes, and blender carrot cakes!
This carrot raisin salad is another great addition to our weekly routine! And although it looks pretty simple and quick, the delicate balance between sweet carrots, raisins, tangy dressing and salty feta makes this salad full of complex flavor and delicious!
It’s also great for potlucks and BBQs because it’s easy to transport, it keeps well, and that glowing orange looks lovely on the table.
Here is what you need…
List of the ingredients
- Raisins (or sultanas)
- Feta (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice (or cider vinegar)
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Salt & pepper
How to make carrot raisin salad
(Note: this is a quick description with step by step photos, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Peel and wash the carrots. A peeler helps you greatly in here!
- Then grate the carrots using a box grater or the shredded attachment of your food processor. This is mine and I love it: it grates pounds of carrots in seconds!
- Place carrots, raisins, feta and chopped parsley in a salad bowl.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing in jar and shake.
- Pour over the salad, toss well to combine, and serve!
Carrot raisin salad ingredients
CARROTS: use fresh and crunchy carrots for salads! If you grate them quickly with a food processor, make a double batch and store them in the fridge. They keep well for days and you can make these delicious carrot fritters too!
FETA: its saltiness creates a nice contrast with the sweet raisins. But its flavor is subtle, not predominant. You can still taste that contrast made by the lemon mustard dressing which is a flavor bomb, so feel free to skip the feta if you wish.
RAISINS: raisins, golden raisins and sultanas are all fine.
DIJON MUSTARD: it’s pungent flavor pairs so well with sweet carrots and makes a rich, thicker dressing. Whole grain mustard works well too.
LEMON JUICE: you can substitute lemon juice with apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
NOTE: although in the US the term raisin is referred to both raisins and sultanas, they two varieties are actually made from different types of grapes. However, since raisins and sultanas are pretty similar in texture and flavor, they can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
Looking for more carrot recipes?
If you love carrots, here are a few delicious recipes for you to try!
- Carrot hummus
- Pumpkin and carrot soup
- Baked carrot fritters
- Red lentil soup with carrots
- Roasted root vegetable salad
If you make this carrot raisin salad or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you! x
Carrot Raisin Salad
- 1 lb (450 grams) carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ cup (60 grams) raisins (or sultanas)
- ⅓ cup (50 grams) crumbled feta (optional), plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley (optional), plus more for garnish
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (½ lemon)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed or grated
- ¼ tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- Peel and grate the carrot use a box grater or the shredder attachment of food processor.
- Place shredded carrots, raisins, crumbled feta and parsley in a salad bowl.
- Put the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well to coat. Garnish with extra parsley and crumbled feta.
- Serve, or if time allows, let it rest in the fridge or at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving to let flavors mingle together. Enjoy!