Impress for less with this refreshing celery salad with shaved parmesan! It makes a delicious starter to any dinner party, it’s ready in 10 minutes and costs less than $1.30 per portion.
And it looks festive and glamorous too!
Plus, you’re gonna love this: it’s low calories, low fat and packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. If you are looking for a light and healthy addition to your holiday menu, you’ve just found it!
I love this salad, it’s inexpensive and makes a marvellous starter if you are expecting a big crowd during the festive period: you can assemble it in no time or make it in advance, whatever makes your life easier.
No-cook, no-effort, but you won’t miss out on flavor and texture. The combination of these simple ingredients works like magic: crunchy and refreshing celery, juicy pomegranate and pear, savory parmesan, and a tangy lemon dressing.
Fast, cheap and delicious, you’ll be making this fuss-free celery salad over and over! : )
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
- Pomegranate seeds
- Pear (optional)
- Shaved Parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS CELERY SALAD
Prepping the ingredients involves a bit of slicing, but beyond that, it all comes together in no time:
- Slice celery and pear
- Place celery, pear, pomegranate and parmesan in a large bowl
- Pour over the dressing and toss gently
- Scatter with extra pomegranate seeds and parmesan
- Ready to be served!
EASY, HEALTHY AND BUDGET-FRIENDLY
This beautiful budget salad is ready in no time and it’s loaded with vitamins and health benefits!
IS CELERY GOOD FOR YOU?
Absolutely YES! Celery is low calories, but rich in minerals, fiber and phytonutrient antioxidants that contain anti-inflammatory properties.
IS POMEGRANATE GOOD FOR YOU?
Pomegranates are rich in vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients with potential anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, often compared with red wine and green tea in terms of health benefits.
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS:
CELERY: buy celery with crisp, firm, bright stalks. The ribs should be straight and rigid with fresh and bright green leaves. Avoid celery that is soft or damaged.
MAKE IT DAIRY FREE/VEGAN: the Parmesan adds a deep round flavor to the salad, but it’s also nice without the cheese. You might finish the salad with some toasted walnuts or pecan instead, I haven’t tried yet, but I think their warm earthiness and nutty flavor pair very well the fresh and juicy celery.
STORAGE: celery salad leftovers keep quite well covered and chilled, for about 2 days. Before serving, pour off some of the excess liquid. And if you added a sliced pear, keep in mind that the slices will eventually brown and look less appetizing. It’s just a natural oxidation process, it doens’t affect the taste.
However, if you plan to make this salad ahead, I would suggest you to store sliced celery in a separate container. Then add pomegranate seeds, parmesan, pear and dressing when ready to serve!
If you look for other 10-minute healthy salads, this Mediterranean bean salad, Italian cucumber salad, and cabbage salad with apples will be ready in no time. If you want to have a look at more salad recipes, here you’ll find a variety of recipes featuring different vegetables!
If you make this festive celery salad, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Festive celery salad with parmesan
- 8 long celery stalks, leaves separated, and thinly sliced (approx 1 lb)
- 1 pear, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 pomegranate, seeds
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan (approx 30 grams)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil, plus more to drizzle if you like
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- fine salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Separate the celery stalks and remove the leaves. Wash and trim the stalks and slice them into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Slice the pear the same way if you use it.
- Place celery, pear, and half of the pomegranate seeds and half of the shaved parmesan in a large bowl (reserve the rest for the topping).
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper (I start with 1/4 tsp of salt). Pour the dressing over the salad, toss gently and taste. You might want to add more seasoning or olive oil according to your taste.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature, topped with the rest of pomegranate seeds and shaved parmesan. Enjoy.
If you plan to make this salad ahead, I would suggest you to store sliced celery in a separate container. Then add pomegranate seeds, parmesan, and dressing when ready to serve!