If you’re not a big fan of carrots, turn them into flavorful carrot fritters, because it is scientifically impossible to tire of hot and crispy patties fresh from the oven!
These healthy and delicious babies are baked instead of fried and they are packed with aromatic fresh coriander and cumin. Serve with a last-minute tangy yogurt-hummus dip and you will love them.
Vegetable fritters, especially carrot fritters, are a must! They are so simple to put together: 5 inexpensive and healthy ingredients and 30 minutes of prep time. They make a vegetarian and kid-friendly meal, appetizer and a great addition to our packed lunches.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE THESE HEALTHY CARROT FRITTERS:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Mix all the ingredients
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with oil
- Shape the mixture into patties
- Bake them until brown and crispy, about 12 minutes per side
…. and since I love to keep things simple, here’s the yogurt-hummus dip:
- Mix hummus + plain yogurt + fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Serve the fritters with this creamy and super easy dip!
Flavor: the distinct flavors of coriander and cumin are the perfect complements to the sweet and delicious carrots. I love this combination, it’s refreshing, vibrant and not boring.
Leftovers: they keep well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. If you keep the fritters in an airtight container, they will soften up. It’s not a big deal, they taste good anyway, but the crust is most crispy when served right away.
The quantities yield to 10 small servings, enough for 2 people. You can easily double the quantities and enjoy more fritters and leftovers!
If you make these healthy carrot fritters, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Healthy carrot fritters
- 1/2 lb carrots, grated
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp all purpose flour (I used white spelt flour)
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400F (fan forced) and grease or line with parchment paper a baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix well all the ingredients until combined.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture, place it on the baking pan and flatten slightly with your hand.
- Bake the fritters for about 12 minutes, then turn them over and keep baking for a further 12 minutes or until golden and crispy. Check your oven, the baking time might be slightly different.
- Make a super easy yogurt-hummus dip simply mixing plain yogurt, hummus and lemon juice.
- Serve the fritters, warm or cold, with the yogurt-hummus dip!