If you’re not a big fan of carrots, turn them into flavorful carrot fritters, because it is scientifically impossible to tire of crispy patties fresh from the oven!
Plus, they require only 5 inexpensive ingredients and they’re ready in 30 minutes.
These healthy delicious babies are baked instead of fried, and they are packed with cumin, garlic, and fresh coriander. Serve with a last-minute tangy yogurt-hummus dip, you will love them.
They are so simple to put together and make a brilliant vegetarian appetizer, side dish or snack!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- Coriander (optional)
- Salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE CARROT FRITTERS:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Mix all the ingredients
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with oil
- Shape the mixture into patties
- Bake them until brown and crispy, about 12 minutes per side
Serve with yogurt-hummus dip:
- Mix hummus + plain yogurt + fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Serve the fritters with this creamy and super easy dip!
Recipe updated: originally posted in May 2019, I’ve slightly changed the recipe and added new pictures.
These carrot fritters are perfect to introduce healthy vegs into your diet: they’re ready in no time, fun and 10 servings cost about $1.50.
Plus, they’re healthy since the delicious carrots are low in calories, rich in fiber, vitamins and beta carotene, an important antioxidant that protects the immune system, vision, and skin!
The distinct flavors of coriander, cumin, and garlic are the perfect complements to the sweet and delicious carrots. I love this combination, it’s refreshing, vibrant and not boring.
These carrot fritters keep well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. If you keep them in an airtight container, they will soften up. It’s not a big deal, they taste good anyway, but the crust is most crispy when served right away.
The quantities yield to 10 small servings, enough for 2 people. You can easily double the quantities and enjoy more fritters and leftovers!
MORE RECIPES WITH HEALTHY AND BUDGET-FRIENDLY CARROTS?
- creamy carrot and ginger soup
- blender healthy carrot cake
- harissa eggplant and carrot salad
- spicy red lentil soup with carrots.
If you make these tasty carrot fritters, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
- 1/2 lb (220 grams) carrots, grated
- 1 small egg
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400F (fan forced) and grease or line with parchment paper a baking pan.
- In a bowl, mix well all the ingredients until combined. You want to drain the grated carrots removing the excess moisture. You might add a bit more flour if the mixture is still wet.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture, place it on the baking pan and flatten slightly with your hand.
- Bake the fritters for about 12 minutes, then turn them over and keep baking for a further 12 minutes or until golden and crispy. Check your oven, the baking time might be slightly different.
- Make a super easy yogurt-hummus dip simply mixing plain yogurt, hummus and lemon juice.
- Serve the fritters, warm or cold, with the yogurt-hummus dip!