This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
How festive and deliciously creamy is this vegan carrot hummus? It’s healthy, easy to make, full of lemon and garlic flavor, perfect for spreading or dipping!
I love the healthy inexpensive carrots, and it’s such a breeze turning them into many delicious meals. From carrot fritters to carrot ginger soup or carrot cake, carrots deliver nutrition, flavor, and texture.
This quick delicious carrot hummus is no exception and it’s brilliant to use leftover roasted carrots. Their sweetness pairs so well with garlic, lemon, and cumin, while the chickpeas add more texture and nutrients. The recipe is also super flexible, you can jazz it up with more garlic, lemon, or spices if you like.
Plus, you can make it in advance (it lasts up to 5 days!), then decorate and serve with raw veggies, crispy breadsticks, no-knead crusty bread, or super-quick focaccia.
It tastes so good and looks stunning on the table.
What ingredients you need
- Canned chickpeas
- Roasted carrots
- Tahini paste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make it
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
I use my Vitamix, it’s not the cheapest kitchen tool out there, but it’s simply brilliant.
- Blend until smooth, adding a small amount of water if needed
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste, and blend again
Carrot hummus variations
As I said, this recipe is flexible and ridiculously easy and allows you to adjust the ingredients according to what you have at hand.
- Chickpeas: you can substitute chickpeas with the same amount of white beans
- Carrots: swap carrots for roasted sweet potatoes
- Spices: I love cumin, it works so well with roasted carrots, but you can play around with some ground ginger or all spices if you want to add a Christmasy twist.
How long does this carrot hummus keep?
Store this carrot hummus an air-tight container in the fridge, it will last up to 5 days. Good news, it’s freezable too.
More dips and vegan appetizers?
I hope you’ll enjoy this easy carrot hummus as much as we do, and if you make it or if you have any questions, please leave a comment, rate it, or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram.
I would love to hear from you!
- 1 can (14oz/400 grams) chickpeas, with their liquid
- ¾ lb (340 grams) roasted carrots, cut into batons or chunks
- 1 ½ lemons, juice
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fine salt, plus more to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp water, add a bit more if you like a thinner texture
- If you don't have leftover roasted carrots, preheat the oven to 390°F/200°C and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Peel and quart the carrots or cut them into large batons, place them on the baking pan and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or in a food processor.
- Whizz until smooth. If you use a Vitamix, you need to use the tamper to push the ingredients into the blades.
- If you like a thinner texture, you might add extra liquid such as olive oil or water.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste, blend again if you add extra seasoning.
- Transfer the carrot hummus into a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, pomegranate seeds, or cumin seeds if you wish.
- Serve with crusty bread, crackers, and raw vegetables.