This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This broccoli pizza is loaded with flavor. Chewy crust, sautéed broccoli with sweet onion and savory black olives. A dreamy vegetarian pizza!
If you’ve never had broccoli on pizza before, you are in for a treat!
Another day, another pizza recipe. Just one more, because I’m obsessed with pizza.
I shared quite a few vegetarian white pizza recipes topped with zucchini or artichokes, spinach, asparagus, red onions, basil pesto and also eggs and spinach. The sky is the limit!
And today it’s broccoli pizza time.
First, every good pizza begins with a fool-proof, delicious pizza crust and this super easy homemade pizza dough is exactly what you need.
I’ve used this recipe for a million years. it’s easy to make in one bowl, no kneading required, and it turns great every single time.
Second, the sautéed broccoli is everything. It’s tender, moist and brings so much flavor along with the onion and the Kalamata olives. They complement each other so well and there’s no need of tomato sauce base.
And don’t be afraid to use a lot of broccoli if you wish, let’s make this pizza healthier with a superfood topping packed with nutrients and antioxidants!
If you’re looking for an amazing pizza with broccoli with tons of flavor and nutritious, this is the one. Enjoy!
List of the ingredients
- No-knead pizza dough (or pre-made crust or your fav recipe)
- Fresh broccoli
- Mozzarella (fresh or pre-shredded)
- Kalamata olives
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make broccoli pizza
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Make this dough (with video tutorial), but you’re also welcome to use your fav recipe or a store-bought pizza crust if desired.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add broccoli, black olives, salt, pepper and a touch of water to the skillet.
- Cook until tender, and make sure you’re happy with the seasoning.
- When the pizza dough is ready and fluffy, stretch it into a rectangular shape.
- Top with diced mozzarella and the sautéed broccoli, olives and onion.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake until golden and crusty!
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves.
- Enjoy your broccoli pizza!
Broccoli pizza ingredients
Pizza crust: hand off, my easy no-knead pizza dough is a game changer, just make sure you follow recipe and tips here! But feel free to use your fav dough recipe or store-bought pizza crust if you wish.
Mozzarella: I love fresh whole milk mozzarella balls packed in water, but the shredded low moisture option works too.
Broccoli: not only broccoli soup and broccoli pasta, the superfood broccoli makes a wonderful pizza topping too! I used a large head of broccoli for the recipe, I separated the florets from the tough, thick center stem, and I cut them into small florets to cook them quickly.
Onion: sautéed in olive oil adds sweetness to the topping.
Kalamata olives: they add their fruity flavor and taste nicer than regular pitted black olives.
Extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil: for its delicious fresh flavor.
Salt & pepper: be generous with salt and pepper.
Tips for the best pizza
Make sure you check out all the tips here, but below I listed the most important!
- Preheat the oven, always!
- Bake the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven, close to the heating element.
- Stretch the pizza dough using your fingers, don’t use a rolling pin!
- Bake your pizza on a hot pizza stone or pizza steel. Alternatively, you can use a baking tray and make sure the pizza stone is inside during preheat, so it’s already hot when you bake your pizza.
- Use parchment paper and a pizza peel (or the back of a baking sheet) to transfer your pizza to the hot stone and back to add the eggs.
More pizza recipes for you…
These collection of 17 veggie pizzas and 25 YUMMY pizza toppings or Focaccia toppings are truly delicious and great to inspire you!
Here more terrific pizza ideas:
- Greek pizza
- Mozzarella pizza
- Pizza with eggplants
- Fresh tomato pizza
- Pizza with peppers
- Quick Caprese pizza
If you make this broccoli pizza, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
- 1 easy pizza dough (or your fav dough)
- 1 big broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced (any color is fine)
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 (125 gr/4.5oz) mozzarella ball packed in water (or shredded low moisture mozzarella)*
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Follow the easy no-knead pizza recipe through step 5, including shaping the pizza and preheating the oven.
- Cook broccoli: wash the broccoli, separate the edible florets from the tough center stem and cut each floret into smaller florets. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, saute' the sliced onion for about 4-5 minutes, then add the broccoli florets, the olives, about ¼ cup of water, cover and cook until just tender and juicy (about 8 minutes). Season to taste with salt and pepper (I use a bit more than ¼ tsp of salt).
- Shape the dough: when the dough is ready follow step 5, place the paper sheet or parchment paper onto a pizza peel or onto the back of a rimmed baking sheet. Then place the dough on this parchment paper, and starting from the center, gently press it out with your fingers until you get approx a 9×13 inch pizza (try to not make it flat, you want to keep it airy and fluffy).
- Add the cheese: if using fresh mozzarella in water, dice it and place it on kitchen paper. Add another folded piece of paper on top, pat it dry to absorb excess moisture. Finally add it evenly to the pizza, follow with the parmesan cheese, and using a dessert spoon make and scatter over small dollops of cream cheese.
- Add broccoli and olives: arrange the florets, olives and onion over the cheese, and sprinkle with some salt and black pepper.
- Bake the pizza: when the oven is hot, use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the mozzarella cheese and crust are nicely browned, approx 12-15 minutes. But each oven is different, keep an eye on it (e.g. in a forced fan oven it will take about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve: allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before serving, drizzle with good-quality extra virgin olive oil and scatter fresh basil leaves and/or extra black pepper if desired. Slice, serve immediately, enjoy!
Leave a Reply