This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This easy-to-make vegan broccoli soup makes a delicious meal packed with nutrients and flavor. It’s creamy, light and healthy all at the same time.
And it’s ready in about 20 minutes!
I told you, lately I’m vegan soup obsessed. That’s why when I found some beautiful broccoli at an incredibly low price this week, I knew that I had to make and share another delicious recipe.
Vegan broccoli soup, coming right up! : )
I LOVE it because it’s packed with greens, and its texture is rich and velvety without requiring any dairy at all. And it’s low on calories too.
Firstly, onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and of course, two heads of broccoli, form the base of this soup. Veggies that bring nutrition, flavor and texture.
To make the broth thicker, we have a roux made with flour and plant-based milk, then we have a touch of mustard for a boost of flavor and some nutritional yeast for an irresistible cheesy deliciousness.
Finally, blend, blend, and blend until smooth and creamy.
Then we serve it with a squeeze of lemon juice for freshness and lots of stovetop croutons or warm focaccia bread for dipping. Can’t go without that.
This is exactly what we want to eat on a still cold wintery night, right? : )
List of the ingredients
- Soffritto (onion, garlic, carrot)
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Plant-based milk
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt & pepper
How to make vegan broccoli soup
(Note: this is simply a quick explanation, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Cut florets off, then cut the thick skin off the stem and dice into small pieces so they can cook quickly along with the florets. We don’t waste anything!
- Sauté onions and carrot in olive oil, then stir in garlic.
- Add flour and mustard, cook stirring for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in gradually the plant-based milk and the broth.
- Add broccoli and diced potatoes and cook until fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender puree everything until extra smooth, stir in the nutritional yeast and taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, some fresh lemon juice to taste and a touch of ground nutmeg if you wish.
- Don’t forget crusty bread or croutons, of course!
Vegan broccoli soup ingredients
Broccoli: I use 2 large broccoli heads for this recipe, about 700g/1.4lb of broccoli (including stems). You can also use frozen broccoli, easy peasy.
Veggies and olive oil: I start with a base made with onion and garlic sauté in olive oil. I also add a large sliced carrot to add extra texture and color.
Potatoes: Maris Piper potatoes for me (I’m in the UK), but Yukon gold are perfectly fine (for my American readers).
Flour and plant-based milk: a roux made with flour and plant-based milk will thicken the broth adding creaminess. Either oat milk or almond milk work fine.
Mustard: to add a tangy kick.
Nutritional yeast: this deactivated yeast is commonly used as a cheese substitute. It is packed with vitamins and minerals and adds a savory, umami flavor. I think it works very well in this soup, but I leave it optional, feel free to skip it if you don’t have it on hand.
Salt & pepper: for flavor. Make sure you adjust the seasoning at the end, before serving.
Note: the recipe makes a generous batch, but you could easily cut the ingredients in half if you don’t want a lot of leftovers.
We love healthy broccoli in my household, and if you’ve got plenty of broccoli to use up, you might try this scrumptious vegan broccoli pasta or cavatelli and broccoli.
More vegan soup recipes?
I’ve told you before that I’m all about soups in the last few weeks, and I’ve gathered all my vegan soup recipes in this collection, absolutely perfect to inspire you!
Below a few of my favorite staples:
- Vegan lentil soup
- Vegan split pea soup
- Lima bean soup
- Vegan sweet potato soup
- Pasta fazool soup
- Tomato soup with pasta
If you make this vegan broccoli soup or if you have any questions, let me know! Leave a comment and rate the recipe. I would love to hear from you!
And for more recipe updates, subscribe my newsletter and follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Vegan Broccoli Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, diced or sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced or sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (240 ml) plant-based milk (oat or almond)
- 5 cups liter 1.2 low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (1 ½ lb/700 gr total) broccoli, cut into florets, stems peeled and diced
- 2 (300 gr/10oz) medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup (30 grams) nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30-40 seconds
- Add in the flour, mustard, and cook stirring for about 1 minute.
- Whisk the milk in (pour it in slowly) until the flour has dissolved. Same for the the broth.
- Add in the diced potatoes and broccoli (make sure the stems are peeled and cut into small cubes, if so they will cook quickly).
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil, then promptly reduce the heat to a gentle bubbling, cover the pot with the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, stir the nutritional yeast, and using an immersion blender blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste while it's still hot (I use 1 teaspoon of fine salt and ⅛ teaspoon black pepper), and stir in 1-2 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Divide the soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of ground nutmeg if you wish. Serve with crusty bread or croutons.
Leave a Reply