This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This vegan garlic chickpea soup is not only super easy, but it’s also tasty and deliciously creamy. Made from a handful of basic ingredients, including chickpeas, garlic, dried herbs and spices, it comes together in less than 30 minutes.
I’m a big fan of chickpeas, these versatile healthy legumes can be used in so many ways including chickpea salad, creamy chickpea soup, pasta with chickpeas, and more like in these fabulous 27 chickpea recipes.
They’re also so economical, packed with great health benefits, and you can easily turn them into a satisfying full meal in no time.
And while there are many variations of chickpea soup, you can’t go wrong with this simple recipe. It’s so cozy, delightfully filling and warming, definitely a no brainer to put together.
Watch how to make it
List of the ingredients
- Vegetable broth
- Olive oil
- Dried rosemary
- Dried thyme
- Chili flakes
- Salt & pepper
How to make this vegan chickpea soup
(Note: this is simply a quick explanation, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Blend half of the chickpeas.
- Saute’ garlic in olive oil.
- Add chickpeas, herbs, spices, and potato.
- Stir in broth.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
Vegan garlic chickpea soup variations
This simple recipe is also very flexible, you can keep it as simple as it is, you can jazz it up or you can toss in other ingredients you happen to have on hand:
- You can start with a flavor base called soffritto (diced carrots, celery, and onion)
- Substitute chickpeas with white beans
- Add a splash of white wine at the beginning as in this white bean soup
- Stir spinach or kale into the soup at the end
- Top with a spoon of this flavorful garlic parsley pesto
More easy vegan soup recipes?
Vegan soups packed with legumes have been staples in my diet for so many years. They’re delicious, easy to put together, inexpensive, and packed with plant-based protein. Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Italian white bean soup, super quick and full of flavor
- Green lentil soup, thick and spicy
- Spicy red lentil soup, with turmeric and cumin
- Mediterranean chickpea soup, tasty and filling
If you make this vegan garlic chickpea soup recipe or if you have any questions, let me know! Leave a comment, send me a message, or rate it.
I would love to hear from you!
Vegan Garlic Chickpea Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) chickpeas
- 1 (6oz-180 grams) large potato, diced
- 2 cups (480 ml) low-sodium vegetable broth
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- Firstly, pour one of the cans of chickpeas with its liquid into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat, add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, or just until it's fragrant and smells good.
- Add the puréed chickpeas, the second can of drained chickpeas, the cubed potato, parprika, rosemary, thyme, chili flakes, and some freshly cracked pepper and give a good stir. Add broth and stir again.
- Place a lid on the pot, turn the heat up to medium-high, and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium low and allow it to simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning according to your taste (and that depends mostly on the salt content of your broth, I added about ¼ tsp of salt).
- Serve hot with freshly ground pepper and a drizzle of olive oil if you wish, and don't skip crusty bread for dipping! 🙂
- Storage instructions: keep in the fridge, stored in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
- Freezable: divide among airtight containers (leaving 1-inch space at the top), and freeze up to 2 months
- I either make my own vegetable broth cooking vegetable scraps and herbs or I use hot water and vegan low sodium vegetable broth cubes.