This is not an average bean soup, this is an awesome Italian white bean soup with big bold flavor. Everyone loves it!
I cook it the way my mum used to, loaded with chili, parsley, and garlic, a burst of flavor that really warms me up.
This hearty and comforting meal is ready in no time, so good and drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and parsley. Italians can’t live without a good extra virgin olive oil, really, nothing can beat it when it comes to flavors and dressing.
Cooking a warming soup like this is a no brainer, it takes just a few basic ingredients like cannellini beans, garlic and olive oil, some of the cheapest cupboard staples.
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- Cannellini beans or other white beans
- Italian parsley
- Chili flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil and salt
- Vegetable broth
HOW TO MAKE AN ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SOUP?
(Full recipe at the bottom of the page)
- Saute’ chopped garlic, onion and chili flakes in olive oil
- Add diced potato and white beans
- Add vegetable broth, salt, and simmer for about 20 minutes
- Serve with parsley and extra virgin olive oil dressing, and add more chili flakes if you like. Enjoy!
RECIPE NOTES & QUESTIONS
This white bean soup is packed with protein and comes together in only 25 MINUTES.
Bonus? It’s super affordable and one portion costs less than $1.
It’s loaded with flavor, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, and cheap… what not to love about this soup?
ARE WHITE BEANS GOOD FOR YOU?
YES. This soup is packed with cannellini beans, low on calories, but loaded with protein, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Cannellini beans are highly filling, making them a very weight loss-friendly food.
IS EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL HEALTHY?
YES. Extra virgin olive oil is a rich source of antioxidants, monounsaturated fats, and offer a long list of benefits to your overall health. So the answer is yes, extra virgin olive oil tastes great and is healthy too.
Plus, if you enjoy this soup with some whole grain bread, you’ll get plenty of fiber that keep you feeling fuller for longer.
You can use cannellini beans, navy beans, Great Northern beans or any white beans. However, for more flavor and texture, dried cannellini beans are the better choice here. They taste better and they are cheaper than canned beans. However, if you are in a hurry, go for canned beans, they wok just fine and the preparation is minimal.
Fresh garlic, fresh and aromatic Italian parsley, chilly flakes, and robust extra virgin olive oil make this mushy cannellini soup really amazing. Don’t use dry stuff, they won’t work.
You want to load this hearty meal with big flavors, don’t settle for less!
Do you like creamy soups? I do, I love that thick and yummy texture, for this reason, I often add a cubed potato. During cooking, the cells of the potato break down releasing starch, and if you slightly mash the soft potato cubes with a wooden spoon occasionally, that makes the soup even thicker. Yum.
I kept things simple in this recipe, but you actually can add plenty of vegetables, they will make the soup hearty and more nourishing. For example, you can simply add a “soffritto” (diced onion, carrot and celery) which brings more texture and flavor. If you prefer, you can add diced tomatoes or more greens like spinach and kale, they all are good options.
LEFTOVER WHITE BEAN SOUP?
This Italian white bean soup keeps well in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 3-4 days. It’s also freezable: divide among airtight containers (leaving 1-inch space at the top), and freeze up to 2 months.
MORE CANNELLINI BEAN RECIPES?
If you like this Italian white bean soup, then you will love these recipes:
- The best white bean soup, creamy and utterly delicious.
- Cannellini bean salad, flavorsome and tossed in a lemon garlic dressing.
- Smoked beans on toast, the perfect crunchy bruschetta.
- 15 Cannellini bean recipes, incredible soups, salads, dips.
You really have to try it, I’m sure you will love it as much as I do!
f you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SOUP
- 2 cans (14oz/400grams each) cannellini or other white beans
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 handful Italian flat parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt, or according to taste
- Rinse your beans under runny water and drain, you want to remove the cloudy water.
- In a large pot heat gently 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and add 1 chopped garlic clove (keep the other one for the dressing), onion, chilli and cook for about 3 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add cannellini beans, the diced potato and stir well for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth (or hot water) and salt and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the diced potato is soft, remove the pot from the heat, check the seasoning and the consistency (you might like a thicker or a thinner soup, so you can add or reduce the amount of liquid). Set aside.
- Make the dressing: blend the parsley leaves with the rest of the garlic and 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (2 Tbsp if you like more dressing). Alternatively, you can chop parsley and garlic and then blend all together with the rest of the olive oil. You want to make a flavorsome dressing for your soup.
- Serve drizzled with the parsley dressing and some chilli flakes.