This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Simple, refreshing and crunchy, this cucumber dill salad is coated with a delicious lemon yogurt dressing that is creamy, tangy and garlicky.
It’s a cooling bowl of goodness perfect for summer meals and BBQs!
We love cucumbers, they are one of our favorite veggies. I use them in many of my salads – from Italian tomato and cucumber salad to salad with mint and this scrumptious white bean salad full of Mediterranean flavor.
Cucumbers are largely available all year round, inexpensive, low in calories and packed with health benefits. They also keep well in the fridge making them the perfect ingredient for quick weekday salads.
Yes, cucumbers tick all the boxes.
And today I’m here to bring you another side dish that packs this amazing summer produce – one that’s perfect for hot days when we all crave fresh dishes. And yes, no cooking is required.
It’s a super simple salad that combines cucumbers, dill and red onion with a dressing made with creamy yogurt, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and seasoning.
It’s ready in no time, full of nutrients, and makes a lovely side dish that pairs with everything!
I have been making this cucumber dill salad everyday, it’s definitely one my go-to side salads this summer!
Gather your ingredients and let’s get started.
List of the ingredients
- English or Persian cucumbers
- Fresh dill
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Red onion
- Lemon or vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Make cucumber dill salad in 3 steps
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Make the dressing: Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Slice the veggies: Slice the onion, cut the cucumbers (not too thin, we love that crispy textures!) and chop the dill.
- Toss and serve! Place all the ingredients in a large salad bowl and toss until well combined and coated. Taste, adjust the seasoning if needed, and serve with pita bread, crusty panini or focaccia.
Ingredients & Substitutions
This simple cucumber salad uses minimal ingredients! This makes it the perfect side dish to serve with pretty much anything. Here’s what you’ll need:
Cucumbers: you can use whatever type of cucumber you have on hand. Persian cucumbers or long cucumbers (called Telegraph or English cucumbers) work equally well for the recipe. I use long cucumbers, largely available here in the UK, they are less watery than Persian cucumber.
Dill: we use a small bunch of fresh dill for this salad, not dried herbs.
Red onion: this is my favorite onion when it comes to salads. I love its sweeter flavor and the bright color, but green onion or white onions work just fine.
Yogurt: I recommend using full-fat Greek yogurt for this recipe, it’s thick and makes the dressing rich and flavorful. Sour cream works too, while low fat yogurt makes the dressing too thin.
Dressing: we mix the yogurt with extra virgin olive oil, a touch of garlic (not too much), lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar), salt and pepper. Simple flavorful ingredients, nothing fancy.
Make it vegan
Feel free to skip the dairy if you wish, and use coconut yogurt as I do in this tzatziki recipe. Easy peasy!
How to store cucumber dill salad?
I recommend enjoying this cucumber salad the same day you make it because the cucumber high water content will water down the dressing and the flavor.
However, if you have leftover you can store in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 day.
More simple salad recipes you’ll love!
- Salad with grapes
- Cabbage salad with apples
- Arugula pear salad
- Beetroot salad
- Winter salad
- Artichoke salad
- Celery and parmesan salad
If you make this cucumber dill salad or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you! x
Cucumber Dill Salad
- ¾ cup (150 grams) Greek yogurt or plain full-fat
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ⅕ teaspoon black pepper
cucumber dill salad
- 1 ½ lb (670 grams) cucumbers, sliced (I used 2 long English cucumbers)
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- Place the yogurt dressing in a small bowl and stir until well combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Slice the onion and cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then slice each half into 3mm / 1/8" thick slices.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, add the dressing and toss to combined until well coated.
- Serve at room temperature or keep refrigerated until serving.