This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Let’s celebrate spring with a delicious asparagus pizza that is crispy, full of fresh flavor and amazingly satisfying.
This is definitely one of our favorite veggie pizza recipes!
It’s no secret that pizza is one of my big LOVES, especially dreamy white pizzas with lots of cheese and veggies.
And I’ve done several versions with zucchini, artichokes, spinach, tomatoes and also with red onions – but I have no idea why I’ve never shared this wonderful asparagus pizza before!
I mean, a truly delicious meatless pizza that is so bright, fresh and full of vibrance and flavor.
So let’s talk it through!
We start with my super easy no-knead pizza dough, a real deal. But you can also start with a pre-made pizza crust if you’re short on time.
Once the dough is puffed up nicely, we flatten it into a large thin pizza and we sprinkle with tangy mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, parmesan, and slightly sweet and juicy sautéed asparagus.
Then we bake it in a hot oven until golden, melted and bubbly and we enjoy it with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves.
What a marvellous combination of flavor and texture. Doesn’t get much better than that!
This asparagus pizza is a must-try for pizza lovers who want to switch things up. Give it a try and enjoy the deliciousness!
List of the ingredients
- No-knead pizza dough (or pre-made crust or your favorite recipe)
- Fresh asparagus
- Cream cheese (soft or block)
- Salt & pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Fresh basil, to serve (optional)
How to make asparagus pizza
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Make this dough (with video tutorial, super easy). You can also make your own using your favorite recipe or you can use store-bought pizza crust.
- Cut the asparagus. I usually snap the woody ends off: I grab a few asparagus and snap off the bottom which is the woody fibrous end. But you can use a chef’s knife to slice off the bottom tough parts just where the color turns from white to green.
- Cut the asparagus crosswise, and slice it lengthwise – this way it cooks faster and you end up with more pieces of asparagus for the topping. Win win!
- Add it to a pan, season and cook with a little olive oil until tender.
- When the dough is ready and fluffy, stretch it into a rectangular shape.
- Top with mozzarella, grated parmesan, and cream cheese.
- Arrange the asparagus on top of the cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and bake until golden and crusty!
- Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves. And you’ll be basically the happiest with this wonderful pizza with asparagus!
Asparagus pizza ingredients
Pizza crust: not to brag, but my easy no-knead pizza dough is a game changer. It’s a breeze to whip up in 1 bowl, no-kneading required, just make sure you follow recipe and tips here! But you’re welcome to go for your fav dough recipe or store-bought pizza crust.
Mozzarella: I use fresh whole milk mozzarella balls packed in water for my pizza recipes, but the shredded low moisture option works too.
Cream cheese: as usual I use soft cream cheese (no cream cheese blocks here in the UK), but I’m sure the block works just fine for pizza as long as you make it softer (see notes in the recipe card). And if you have leftover cream cheese to use up, check out these recipes!
Parmesan: for extra flavor, but you can skip it if you don’t have it on hand.
Asparagus: go for fresh asparagus that is brightly colored with plump and green stalks and make sure the tough ends are trimmed off.
Extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil: finish your asparagus pizza with a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh basil leaves for extra delicious and fresh flavor.
More pizza recipes for you…
These collection of 17 veggie pizzas and 25 YUMMY pizza toppings or Focaccia toppings are truly delicious and great to inspire you!
Here more terrific pizza ideas:
- Greek pizza
- Mozzarella pizza
- Pizza with eggplants
- Pesto pizza
- Fresh tomato pizza
- Pizza with peppers
- Quick Caprese pizza
If you make this cream cheese pizza, or you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you and get your feedback! x
- 1 easy pizza dough (or your fav dough)
Asparagus and cheese topping
- ½ lb (220 grams) asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 (125 gr/4.5oz) mozzarella ball packed in water (or shredded low moisture mozzarella)*
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup (110 grams/4oz) soft cream cheese (use more if desired)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves
- Follow the easy no-knead pizza recipe through step 5, including shaping the pizza and preheating the oven.
- Cook the asparagus: rinse the asparagus, pat it dry and snap off the bottom which is the woody fibrous end, or use a chef’s knife to slice off the bottom parts just where the color turns from white to green. Cut the asparagus both lengthwise and crosswise. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add the asparagus, season with salt, pepper, and cook for about 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Shape the dough: when the dough is ready follow step 5, place the paper sheet or parchment paper onto a pizza peel or onto the back of a rimmed baking sheet. Then place the dough on this parchment paper, and starting from the center, gently press it out with your fingers until you get approx a 9×13 inch pizza (try to not make it flat, you want to keep it airy and fluffy).
- Add the cheese: if using fresh mozzarella in water, dice it and place it on kitchen paper. Add another folded piece of paper on top, pat it dry to absorb excess moisture. Finally add it evenly to the pizza, follow with the parmesan cheese, and using a dessert spoon make and scatter over small dollops of cream cheese. .
- Add the asparagus: arrange all the asparagus over the cheese, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper (I use no more than ¼ tsp of salt).
- Bake the pizza: when the oven is hot, use the pizza peel to carefully transfer the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone. Bake the pizza until the mozzarella cheese and crust are nicely browned, approx 12-15 minutes. But each oven is different, keep an eye on it (e.g. in a forced fan oven it will take about 8-10 minutes).
- Serve: allow the pizza to cool for a minute or two before serving, drizzle with good-quality extra virgin olive oil and scatter fresh basil leaves and/or extra black pepper if desired. Slice, serve immediately, enjoy!
Leave a Reply