This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
The vibrant, super healthy, peppery arugula is the star of the show in this collection of delicious arugula recipes.
Whether it’s a salad, a bowl of pasta, or crispy pizza, these recipes are perfect to turn the lovely greens into a delicious meal.
We love the bright, slightly tart arugula for so many reasons, don’t we?
This popular leafy green plant has various names, depending upon where in the world you are located. In Italy we call it rucola, but other names include salad rocket, garden rocket, and roquette.
And everyone loves it because its mildly bitter flavor goes a long way in a wide range of dishes.
It’s hard to resist the wonderful contrast between its peppery punch and the sweetness of vegetables or fruit. And it’s sensational when its fresh flavor is combined with tangy cheese like feta, goat cheese, or blue cheese turning a last-minute salad into a fancy salad!
Pre-washed arugula is also largely available at supermarkets usually sold in convenient bags, but it’s also easy to grow in containers and gardens if you’re lucky enough to grow your own vegetables!
If you wonder what to do with arugula, below you’ll find fabulous recipes sure to please everybody. Enjoy! : )
And not only is the arugula the perfect ingredients for so many delightful and fresh recipes, but it’s also a nutritional powerhouse!
Closely related to kale and cauliflower, arugula is part of the cruciferous family and provides amazing health benefits with its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Its benefits may include reduced risk of cancer, healthy bones, improved eyesight, and it also helps in boosting the brain and the immune system.
How to store Arugula
Although its peak season is June through December, you can get arugula year-round at the grocery store.
Here are a few simple tips to preserve and keep vibrant and fresh these delicate and highly perishable leafy greens:
- Firstly, buy leaves that are dark green and avoid wilted greens, yellow spots and brown edges.
- Go for for baby arugula, its milder flavor and delicate texture make it versatile and more pleasant than the mature counterpart sold in bunches which has a stronger and more pungent flavor.
- Store your fresh arugula in an airtight container or plastic bag in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator. It should last for up to 5 days.
And if you loved this collection of recipes with arugula, you might be interested in…
If you’re looking for more ideas about how to use up ingredients that you might have in your fridge, below you’ll find more collections of recipes:
- 15 Fresh mint recipes
- Artichoke recipes
- 34 Canned tomato recipes
- 25+ Green lentil recipes
- 15 Cannellini bean recipes
- 17 Ricotta recipes
- 16 Recipes with onions
- 15 Mozzarella recipes
If you try and love one these arugula recipes, or if you have any question, let me know in the comment below. I would love to hear from you!
15+ Amazing Arugula Recipes
- ½ lb (8oz/220 grams) pasta (linguine, penne, spaghetti)
- 4 cups (80 grams) baby arugula, washed
- ⅓ cup (40 grams) sun dried tomatoes, drained
- ¼ cup (30 grams) cashews
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- ⅓ cup (30-40 grams) grated parmesan cheese (or use a few whole pieces, same weight)
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pasta cooking water
- Cook pasta in a large pot with boiling salty water until al dente.
- When it's nearly done, scoop out 1 cup of pasta water and set aside.
- Finally, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, place arugula, parmesan, garlic, cashews, tomatoes, salt and pepper in the food processor. Give a quick blitz just until the mixture resembles a coarse consistency.
- Scrape down sides as needed, add extra virgin olive oil and pasta cooking water (use ¼ cup of the water you reserved) and give another quick whizz. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Add the arugula pesto sauce to the drained pasta and toss well to combine. Stir in some pasta water as much as needed until you get a juicy texture.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil if desired. Enjoy.