This vibrant and super easy pea and mint soup will be your saviour an endless number of times.
And if you’re not a big pea fan, mostly because you find them too sweet or boring, you might change your mind because the fresh mint brightens up this simple soup, while feta crumbles make the difference adding a salty and cheesy punch.
This soup is so good and not boring at all!
You’ve got nothing for dinner? Don’t panic, if you have frozen peas, you’ll be fine and this inexpensive, antioxidant and delicious soup will be ready in 20 minutes.
Never leave the supermarket without a big bag of frozen peas then!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Frozen peas
- Feta cheese
- Mint leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Saute’ sliced onion and cubed potatoes in 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, season, add fresh mint and blend.
- Top with some crumbled feta cheese and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Comforting, healthy, budget-friendly and ready in no time:
Leftovers: make a lot of this lovely and refreshing pea and mint soup, it’s so easy to make, it cooks in no time and it keeps well in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s also freezable (without feta): divide among airtight containers (leaving 1 inch space at the top), and freeze up to 2 months.
Flavor: you can skip the feta cheese for a vegan/dairy free option. You can also leave out the mint, but I would advise adding some fresh herbs like parsley or even basil to brighten up the flavors.
You can surely add a mirepoix made with chopped carrots and celery if you desire, that will enhance the flavor, but I personally skip that stage when I run out of time.
Not yet convinced? Give it a go and have a homemade pea soup ready in record time. Plus, kids love it (you can see in the picture above my little boy’s hand digging his spoon into that creamy goodness!).
You might ever look at frozen peas the same way again : )
EASY PEA AND MINT SOUP
- 4 cups frozen peas (600 grams)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced (300 grams)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 1/4 cups vegetable broth or hot water (750 ml)
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles (optional)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 Tbs fresh mint leaves
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on a low/medium heat and saute' the onion and diced potato for about 3 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the vegetable stock (or hot water), bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is soft.
- Add the peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes (no longer, or you will lose the fresh flavour and beautiful colour of the peas).
- Turn off the heat, season with salt, pepper and add the fresh mint leaves.
- Blend the soup thoroughly until it is completely smooth. If the soup is too thick for you, you can add some more vegetable stock to thin it out until you have a consistency you like.
- Top with some crumbled feta cheese, freshly ground pepper and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Freezable (without feta).
- Refrigerate up to 3 days (without feta)