This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
A super easy fava bean salad might sound unusual, but I love it! It’s so fresh, zesty and it takes only a few delicious ingredients.
The truth is the poor fava beans are largely neglected because of their weird looking and lumpy shells. But you don’t have to shell and release all those fresh broad beans from those lumpy shells when you can go for frozen fava beans!
Yes, that’s means you can happily enjoy these bright and green jewels all year round.
Add some chewy barley, tangy feta, fresh mint, and a stellar lemon and avocado dressing and you end up with a super yummy spring and summer salad!
What ingredients you need
- Fava beans
- Feta cheese
- Mint leaves or mint pesto
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper
Plus, fava beans are an excellent source of protein, low on fat, and rich in fiber which prevents constipation and reduces the appetite. While barley is a versatile whole grain and makes this fava bean salad healthier and more nutritious. It is rich in fiber and other important minerals like selenium, great for heart health and cancer prevention.
Recipe notes & tips
Fava beans are great with pecorino cheese, this is a traditional Italian pairing, but feta cheese comes in handy easier than pecorino and adds that tangy and salty flavor which works perfectly with fava beans. Avocado, mint, and lemon dressing, needless to say, liven up this fava bean salad making a refreshing and zesty feast.
You can swap barley with spelt, quinoa, brown rice, whatever grains you’ve got in your cupboard.
If you prefer, you can substitute fava beans for less expensive frozen peas or chickpeas.
How long does it keep?
it keeps well in the fridge for 2 days.
This is the perfect make-ahead dish, it keeps well in the fridge and is perfect for a packed lunch too.
If you make this fava bean salad, please let me know!
FAVA BEAN SALAD WITH FETA AND AVOCADO
- 1 cup (200gr) pearl barley, uncooked
- 3 cup (350gr) frozen fava beans
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado
- 3 Tbs Mint pesto or chopped mint leaves
- 2 Lemon, juice
- 3 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tsp of salt to 4 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add barley, reduce the heat to a medium simmer, and cook according to package direction.
- In order to cook all in one pot, add fava beans when the barley is nearly done. Keep in mind that frozen fava beans are usually cooked in about 5 minutes.
- NOTE: Adding frozen beans to the pot will stop water from simmering for a few minutes.
- When barley and fava beans are cooked, drain and rinse them under cold water in a colander.
- Drain and put them in a salad bowl.
- Make the avocado dressing blending 1 avocado with 1 Tbs of olive oil, 1 Tbs of water, the juice of 2 lemons and a good pinch of salt.
- Add the avocado dressing and the rest of extra virgin olive oil to the salad.Mix well, taste and season with salt and black pepper according to your taste.
- Add shredded mint leaves or mint pesto and some crumbled feta, toss and enjoy it.
- Refrigerate up to 2 days.
- The amount stated in the recipe is actually for 4 small portions. Double the amount if you need 4 big portions.