This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This easy fava bean salad is fresh, zesty and it takes only a few delicious ingredients. It makes a delicious, filling make-ahead lunch, perfect for meal prep!
Honestly, I think the poor fava beans have been largely neglected because of their weird looking. Although they’re very versatile and packed with nutrients, fava beans are often overlooked in favor of the most popular chickpeas.
But they taste delicious and work beautifully with barley, tangy feta, fresh mint, and a zesty lemon avocado dressing.
Added bonus? You don’t have to shell and release all those fresh broad beans from those lumpy shells when you can go for frozen fava beans. Frozen fava beans are convenient, budget-friendly and you can happily enjoy these bright and green jewels all year round, exactly like frozen peas!
List of the ingredients
- Fava beans
- Feta cheese
- Mint leaves or mint pesto
- Lemon juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Fava beans are also an excellent source of protein, low on fat, and rich in fiber which prevents constipation and reduces the appetite.
While barley is a versatile whole grain and makes this fava bean salad healthier and more nutritious.
Recipe notes & tips
Fava bean salad ingredients
Fava beans are great with pecorino cheese, this is a traditional Italian pairing, but feta cheese comes in handy easier than pecorino and adds that tangy and salty flavor which works perfectly with fava beans.
Avocado, mint, and lemon dressing liven up this fava bean salad making a refreshing and zesty feast.
You can substitute barley with spelt, quinoa, brown rice, whatever grains you’ve got in your cupboard.
How long does it keep?
It keeps well in the fridge for 2 days and it’s perfect for a packed lunch too.
MORE QUICK SALADS?
- Italian tomato and cucumber salad
- Marinated tomato salad
- Cannellini bean salad
- Lemon couscous salad
- Spicy chickpea salad
I hope you like this fava bean salad as much as we do, and let me know if you make it! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
FAVA BEAN SALAD WITH FETA AND AVOCADO
- 1 cup (200gr) pearl barley, uncooked
- 3 cup (350gr) frozen fava beans
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado
- 3 Tbs Mint pesto or chopped mint leaves
- 2 Lemon, juice
- 3 Tbs Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tsp of salt to 4 cups of water and bring to a boil
- Add barley, reduce the heat to a medium simmer, and cook according to package direction.
- In order to cook all in one pot, add fava beans when the barley is nearly done. Keep in mind that frozen fava beans are usually cooked in about 5 minutes.
- NOTE: Adding frozen beans to the pot will stop water from simmering for a few minutes.
- When barley and fava beans are cooked, drain and rinse them under cold water in a colander.
- Drain and put them in a salad bowl.
- Make the avocado dressing blending 1 avocado with 1 Tbs of olive oil, 1 Tbs of water, the juice of 2 lemons and a good pinch of salt.
- Add the avocado dressing and the rest of extra virgin olive oil to the salad.Mix well, taste and season with salt and black pepper according to your taste.
- Add shredded mint leaves or mint pesto and some crumbled feta, toss and enjoy it.
- Refrigerate up to 2 days.
- The amount stated in the recipe is actually for 4 small portions. Double the amount if you need 4 big portions.