This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Get the most of your fresh tomatoes with this vibrant tomato onion salad. It’s quick to make, healthy, and packed with fresh big flavor!
But you hardly need a recipe to make this salad. All you have to do is combine ripe tomatoes and crunchy onion with a tangy vinaigrette dressing, a pinch of chili flakes and Mediterranean oregano.
Fresh ingredients that pack flavor in a simple, low-caloirie salad you can make in a snap, and absolutely perfect for any occasion, from quick lunches to summer gatherings!
List of the ingredients
- Tomatoes (any kind of nice and ripe tomatoes)
- Red onion
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil & vinegar
- Salt & pepper
How to make tomato onion salad
(Note: the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Cut the tomatoes. Depending on their size, you might need to cut them in half, remove the hard core at the top, and cut each half into 4 slices.
- Finely slice the onion and place everything into a salad bowl.
- Make the dressing and pour over the salad.
- Toss well to combine and serve with crusty bread!
Tomato and onion salad ingredients
Tomatoes: I used large on the vine tomatoes, inexpensive and easily available.
But feel free to use any kind of tomatoes as long as they’re ripe and taste nice (plum, beefsteak or even cherry tomatoes).
Onion: make sure the onion is fresh and firm. Red onions are the best for salads and are packed with quercetin, a potent flavonoid with several health benefits.
But you can use white onion instead, it works fine too.
Extra virgin olive oil: go for good-quality olive oil, it allows the veggies to shine and keeps the salad light and fresh.
Vinegar: I used wine vinegar, but cider or balsamic vinegar work just fine.
Oregano: convenient and easy to use, oregano adds its fragrant, mediterranean flavor instantly. But 1-2 Tbsp of chopped fresh basil or parsley deliver delicious herbal notes that pair so well with this tomato and onion salad.
Garlic: I love it, it adds more FLAVOR! But skip it if you feel it’s hard to digest.
Tomato and onion salad variations
This simple salad is super versatile too. Go ahead and layer in other tasty ingredients if you wish: cucumber, avocado, arugula, fennel, grilled veggies, feta, mozzarella balls, olives… the sky is the limit!
Looking for more salad recipes?
Here a list of some of my favorite salad recipes perfect for this summer:
- Potato salad with olives
- Cannellini bean salad
- Mediterranean bean salad
- Spicy chickpea salad
- 10-minute Italian chickpea salad
More recipes with fresh tomatoes!
If you have delicious fresh tomatoes to use up, here a few of my favorite summer tomato recipes:
If you make this fresh tomato and onion salad or if you have a question, let me know by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you! x
And for more recipe updates, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
Tomato and Onion Salad, so Tasty!
- 5 (20 oz/600 grams) large vine tomatoes (or any kind of ripe and nice tomatoes, measure the weight in this case).
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white or red wine vinegar (cider or balsamic vinegar are ok too)
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- If you use plum, beefsteak tomatoes or vine tomatoes, cut them into half, remove the hard core at the top and cut each half into 3-4 slices, depending on their size. If you use cherry tomatoes, cut them into half. Place them into a salad bowl.
- Peel, finely slice the onion, and add it to the tomatoes.
- Place olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt in a small jar with lid and shake until you get a homogeneous-looking mixture.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, taste and adjust the seasoning according to yout liking.
- Serve at room temperature, ideally with crusty bread. Enjoy.