This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Cream cheese sandwich with herbs and cucumber is so satisfying, fresh, and makes an easy meal idea with incredible flavor.
Are you fan of cream cheese? Try these delicious cream cheese recipes. : )
I’ve made dozens of versions of cream cheese sandwiches, but this version is absolutely the best and it will literally just melt in your mouth. It is that good.
Seriously, you won’t be able to stop making these.
First off, the cream cheese mixture is AMAZING and full of SO much flavor. The recipe starts by mixing the soft cheese and adds together extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, a touch of garlic and fresh herbs.
It is simple to make and mixes together quickly and easily.
You can of course use whatever bread and veggies you want for this cream cheese sandwich, but I feel like cucumber is the perfect combination of crunchy as well as flavor.
It’s so YUMMY and tasty that it will make you want to eat cream cheese sandwiches every day, and it’s great for breakfast, afternoon tea, lunch, or dinner.
Make a big batch for Mother’s Day, Easter or baby showers, these sandwiches are the perfect party food and everyone will love them.
Also, the herbed cream cheese mixture does well stored in an airtight container and ready to be layered on your sandwich in a moments notice.
Friends, this is possibly your new favorite sandwich!
List of the ingredients
- Slices bread (preferably sandwich bread)
- Soft cream cheese
- Herbs (basil, parsley, dill…)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- Cucumber (optional)
How to make cream cheese sandwich
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Cream cheese mixture: Chop the fresh herbs. I’ve chosen fresh basil, dill and parsley but you can go for your favorite ones. Place the cream cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Assemble: spread each slice of bread generously with the herbed cream cheese (for more yumminess, I spread it on both slices!).
Arrange the cucumber slices on top (or your fav add-in) and top with a second slice of bread. I’ve also added some English salad cress, but it’s totally optional.
- Cut: if you make these cream cheese sandwiches for a special occasion, keep them neat cutting the crust off, and maybe cutting them into triangles.
- If you keep them all for yourself, just devour and enjoy! : )
Cream cheese sandwich ingredients
Bread: I used multigrain sandwich bread, but if you serve these cream cheese sandwiches as a part of a buffet, the best bread is soft, thinly sliced white bread.
Cream cheese: I use soft, spreadable full-fat cream cheese for this recipe.
Herbs: A combination of fresh parsley, basil and dill packs so much flavor and freshness, but also fresh mint, chives, and coriander work just fine.
Extra virgin olive oil: it adds a rich, fruity flavor.
Lemon juice: to make the cream cheese filling bright and fresh.
Veggie: English cucumber is one of my favorite add-ins for this cream cheese sandwich, and you can keep the skin on if you wish. I’ve also added some English salad cress, it looks pretty and brings extra nutrients!
Salt & pepper: make sure your happy with the seasoning and the flavor pops.
Variations of cream cheese sandwich
Bread: try rye bread, ciabatta, English muffin, sourdough bread or a thick bagel for different scrumptious variations.
Filling: not only cucumber, but sliced avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, grilled zucchini, grilled peppers make delicious additions and pair well with the fresh cream cheese mixture.
What to do with cream cheese leftovers?
If you have a tub of cream cheese in the fridge and still wondering what you can do with it, I’ve got you covered with these amazing recipes, ready?
- Cream cheese pasta
- Sweet cream cheese dip
- Creamy penne pasta
- Tomato pasta sauce with cream cheese
- Creamy spinach tomato pasta
- Spinach pasta
- Whipped cream cheese
- Cream cheese pizza
- Creamy spaghetti in one-pot
Lastly, I hope you’ll love this quick and easy cream cheese sandwich, and if you make it or if you have any questions, let me know! Leave a comment, send me a message, or rate it. I would love to hear from you!
Cream Cheese Sandwich
- ¾ cup (150 grams) soft cream cheese (I use Philadelphia*)
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh garlic, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt, or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped (basil, dill, parsley…*)
- ¼ English cucumbers, thinly sliced (optional*)
- 4 slices sandwich bread (I used multigrain*)
- In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, chopped herbs, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Mix vigorously with a fork or a whisk until well combined and smooth, taste and adjust the seasoning if desired. You might want to add an extra touch of lemon juice if you like.
- Set the bread slices on a cutting board and spread one side of each slice generously with the cream cheese filling.
- Lastly, arrange the sliced cucumber overlapping them to cover the bread, and lay the cucumbers on half of the bread slices (I've also added some English cress, but it's optional).
- Top with the other two slices of bread and and pressing down gently, cut the crusts off if desired. You might want to cut them into small rectangles or triangles and serve them on a serving plate if you serve them for a party. Enjoy!