I’ve found fresh zucchini at my local market, that means that summer is approaching, yeah.
I love baking cakes involving any kind of vegetables and this moist and healthy chocolate zucchini bread is a perfect example.
Low in sugar and packed with whole wheat flour and unsweetened cocoa powder, this chocolatey and nourishing bread will be a perfect breakfast and treat throughout the week.
And no, no one can tell that zucchini is one of the main ingredients. Your kids won’t even notice you’ve added them because zucchini has absolutely no flavor when mixed in with bread.
Ok, I know what you are thinking: why on earth should I bake with zucchini then? Because zucchini brings plenty of moisture, fiber, nutrients and zero fat into your cake.
And you want them all, right?
Plus, it’s a blender recipe, you can easily blend all the ingredients in no time saving yourself the hassle of grating zucchini.
You have to add this simple and delicious zucchini bread to your baking list!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- White whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- Cane sugar or white sugar
- Vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Baking powder & salt
HOW TO MAKE THIS ZUCCHINI BREAD:
- Preheat the oven to 360 F
- Grease or line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt
- Blend all the ingredients (except flour and choco chips)
- Add flour and blend until combined, do not overmix
- Add chocolate chips and blend until combined
- Pout the mixture into the loaf pan
- Add some chocolate chips on top
- Bake for about 40 minutes
RECIPE TIPS AND NOTES
Flavor: I love chocolate and cinnamon, but you can swap cinnamon for 1 tsp of almond or vanilla extract, instant coffee, orange zest or rum. Whatever you’ve got in your cupboard and goes well with chocolate!
Do not overmix the batter and if you decide to add chocolate chips, add them when the batter is nearly ready and blend only for a couple of seconds just to combine.
Baking powder: how do you tell if your baking powder is still fresh? Add 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to 1 tablespoon of hot water, if the mixture bubbles then your baking powder is still good to use.
Leftover: it keeps well for up to 4 days at room temperature, in an airtight container. It’s also freezable: wrap the cake, or slices of cake, in plastic wrap (clingfilm), store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 1 month.
I hope you love this easy blender healthy chocolate and zucchini bread as much as Ido and if you make it, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Healthy chocolate zucchini bread
- 1/2 Lb zucchini (11/2 cup sliced zucchini)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I use unrefined cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 360 F.
- Grease with butter or line your loaf pan with parchment paper
- Whisk the flour in a bowl with baking powder and salt (if you're not using self-rising flour).
- Place all the ingredients, except flour and baking powder, in a food processor and blend into a smooth consistency*
- Add the flour and pulse, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Blend only for a few seconds until the flour is just combined with the rest of the ingredients, do not overmix.
- If you use chocolate chips add them now, pulse for a couple of seconds.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan, level the top and sprinkle some chocolate chips on top if you like. Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for about 40 minutes.
- After 35 minutes check the cake by inserting a thin skewer/cake tester into the centre of the cake. If the cake is fully cooked then the skewer will come out clean, if there is still batter clinging to the skewer then return the cake to the oven for a further 3 minutes and test again.
- When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Remove your cake from the pan and enjoy.