This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This sheet pan harissa eggplant and carrot salad is full of delicious flavors and textures. The sweetness of roasted eggplants and carrots is enhanced by the spicy harissa, while the tangy feta and lemon juice balance out all the flavors perfectly. You will love it!
This is a light and balanced meal, affordable, and ready in 30 minutes. A bowl of goodness, so easy to throw together even for our weeknight dinners: only one bowl and one sheet pan to wash.
And it’s also great for meal prep!
What ingredients you need
- Harissa paste
- Cumin seeds
- Salad leaves (optional)
- Olive oil, salt, pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 F
- Cut the eggplant into 2-inch cubes and cut the carrots in half lengthwise
- Toss the vegetables with harissa paste, cumin seeds, oil and salt until well combined
- Spread on a roasting pan so that the vegetables aren’t overlapping
- Roast carrots and eggplant for 10 minutes
- Add chickpeas and keep roasting for a further 10 minutes
- Then add almonds to the baking pan and back to the oven for the last 5 minutes
- (total time: 25 minutes!)
- Arrange some fresh salad leaves on a plate or in a bowl
- Place the roasted vegetables and chickpeas over the plate
- Sprinkle with sliced almonds and crumbled feta
- Drizzle with a little of olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Enjoy!
The spicy harissa works beautifully with the sweetness of these roasted veggies, while the tangy feta and lemon juice balance out that flavor so well.
Plus, you get different levels of texture with the soft and caramelized eggplants and carrots, the creamy feta, the chickpeas, and the crunchy almonds. And don’t forget the bright touch from the lemon juice to enhance the freshness.
To make a more generous and substantial Moroccan salad, skip the salad leaves and add couscous!
These quantities yield to 2 large servings/4 smallish ones, so you may want to double the recipe: just use two pans in the middle and upper third of the oven, and swap them halfway through cooking.
If you make this harissa eggplant and carrot salad, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Harissa eggplant and carrot salad
- 1 large eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1 lb carrots or baby carrots, peeled
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Tbsp harissa paste
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup almonds, roasted
- 1 bunch salad leaves (arugula, spinach…) optional
- Preheat the oven to 425F and grease a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil (or line with parchment paper).
- Cut the eggplant into 2-inch cubes and the carrots in half lengthwise. If your carrots are big, you might want to halve them again and/or cut them crosswise.
- Toss the vegetables with 1 Tbsp of harissa, 1 Tbsp of olive oil, salt and cumin seed. Then roast them in the prepared baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, in the same bowl, toss chickpeas with 1/2 Tbsp of harissa paste, 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add to the vegetables and keep roasting for a further 10 minutes.
- Add almonds to the baking sheet and roast a further 5 minutes. Total time: 25 minutes.
- Arrange the salad leaves, roasted eggplant, carrots and chickpeas on the plates. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and sliced roasted almonds.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and the freshly squeezed lemon juice. Enjoy.
Love this recipe! This has become my go-to recipe if I want to impress my friends with a vegetarian dish. Good on its own or as an accompaniment to meat or fish.
Forgot to mention that I mix in quinoa or rice.
I’m so pleased to hear that, Thale! Thanks so much for sharing your feedback : )
Have a great weekend! x