This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This fresh melt-in-your-mouth ricotta cream uses only 3 ingredients, it’s ready in minutes and pairs beautifully with berries or shortbread cookies.
So easy, delicious and elegant it’s going to blow your mind!
Ricotta cheese is definitely a staple in Italian cuisine, and I’ve already shared quite a few ricotta recipes including this collection of wonderful ricotta desserts that features lovely muffins, cakes and more!
Today I’m back with another super easy recipe inspired by the creamy cheese filling used for the iconic Sicilian cannoli.
But don’t let the simplicity fool you – this ricotta cream is so delicious, soft, fluffy, and perfect to please everyone!
All you need are 3 ingredients, a bowl and an electric whisk to make a ricotta cream that is slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla and bits of rich dark chocolate.
Spoon or pipe it into nice serving glasses or bowls and serve with beautiful fresh berries or crispy shortbread.
It’s a dessert you can whip up for dinner tonight, but it’s also an excellent make-ahead dessert for a fancy dinner (and it holds its shape!),
Want to make ricotta cream for a crowd? Simply double or triple the recipe, and you’ll have enough for a party. Enjoy.
List of the ingredients
- Fresh ricotta
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Dark chocolate
How to make fresh ricotta cream
(Note: this is a quick description, the full recipe is at the bottom of the page)
- Place the fresh ricotta in a clean tea towel, roll up the towel and twist to squeeze out the excess water.
- Transfer ricotta to a bowl, add sugar, vanilla extract and whip until soft and smooth. You can use a food processor or an electric whisk.
- Fold in the chocolate bits using a spatula, or spoon or pipe the ricotta cream into serving glasses and sprinkle the chocolate bits on top.
- Enjoy with fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and crispy cookies on the side!
Note: use a large plain piping nozzle to pipe ricotta cream and chocolate bits.
Ricotta cream ingredients
Ricotta: for the best flavor and texture, use whole milk ricotta cheese, but keep in mind all ricotta is not equal – some brands are good and others not so good. Taste your ricotta and make sure you like it, you don’t want to use dry and tasteless ricotta cheese for this dessert.
Powdered sugar: I recommend using powder sugar that dissolves easily (icing sugar for my UK readers). But regular sugar is fine if it’s all you have on hand.
Vanilla extract: for flavor, but I leave it optional.
Dark chocolate: use good quality chocolate to make this simple dessert absolutely scrumptious. You can use chocolate chips or you can simple finely cut chocolate bar using a sharp knife. I prefer small bits of chocolate rather than chips, they look elegant and are evenly distributed.
How to store Ricotta cream?
This ricotta cream can be made up to 24 hours in advance and then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. You can also make single servings and keep the glasses/bowls covered with plastic wrap.
More ricotta recipes?
- Ricotta meatballs
- Ricotta crostini with peas
- Easy cake with ricotta
- Herbed whipped ricotta
- Lemon ricotta pasta
- Ricotta crostini
If you make this easy ricotta cream or if you have a question, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
- 1 cup (approx 250 grams) ricotta cheese*
- 5 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3 tablespoons 70% Dark Chocolate, shredded or chips
- First thing, place the fresh ricotta onto a clean tea towel, fold it and twist gently but firmly to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Place the squeezed ricotta in a bowl, add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and whisk with an electric beater for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Alternatively, combine ricotta with the other ingredients in a food processor and blizz until smooth.
- Once the ricotta cream is ready you can fold in the dark chocolate bits, of you can transfer the ricotta cream into small serving bowl using a spoon or a piping bag and garnish with the shredded or grated dark chocolate , or chocolate chips if you like.
- Serve cold or at room temperature with fresh berries or shortbread cookies if desired. Enjoy.