This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Here I am again with these delicious dark chocolate truffles with hazelnuts! I was so in love with my previous recipe that I made them several times. I tried many versions until I ended up with this; the lovely heart shape makes them perfect as a decadent treat for Valentine’s day. And I couldn’t resist posting the recipe : )
Easy, vegan, healthy and they taste and look amazing… what not to love?
They are so indulgent, pretty and you can make them in 30 minutes with 5 super healthy ingredients that work like magic. Ready?
What ingredients you need
- Roasted hazelnuts
- Dark chocolate
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Maple syrup (or honey as a non-vegan option)
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt and freeze-dried strawberries (optional)
How to make them
- Melt the chocolate.
- Blend roasted hazelnuts into a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients plus 3 Tbsp of melted chocolate and blend again.
- Shape the hearts possibly with a heart-shaped cookie cutter and freeze them to harden for at least 5 minutes.
- Coat the truffles in melted chocolate and sprinkle with freeze dried strawberries.
- Return them to the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Done.
It’s worth roasting the hazelnuts, you want to bring out their amazing and fragrant flavor.
Plus, add a little pinch of salt, it helps to enhance the chocolate taste, you will be amazed.
The truffle mixture is quite soft, it’s not a proper dough and you can’t roll it flat. But you can take a small amount of the mixture and press it into a cookie cutter. This will help you easily shape the little chocolate hearts. I’m sorry for not posting any picture of this step, but it would have been difficult shaping the mixture and taking pictures at the same time.
The dark chocolate coating is a bit on the expensive side, but it takes these truffles to the next level, making them luxurious and more delicious.
HOW LONG DO THESE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES KEEP?
If you do happen to have any left (seriously?! Haha), they will keep well in your fridge for up to 7 days!
I also wanted them to scream LOVE LOVE LOVE: a pinch of frozen-dried strawberries was just perfect as it added a lovely pink touch.
So good, magic, and perfect for anyone you love. Then grab your dark chocolate and hazelnuts, we are making truffles for Valentine’s day!
If you make this recipe, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES WITH HAZELNUTS
- 3/4 cup (100gr) roasted hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup (100gr) 70% Dark chocolate bar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or honey as a not vegan option)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp freeze dried strawberries (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt (optional)
- Roast your hazelnuts if they are raw, this step will take 10 minutes more: preheat the oven to 350F and spread the whole hazelnuts, in a single layer, evenly over a baking tray. Roast in the oven for about 8 minutes or until the hazelnuts are lightly colored and toasted.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water; cook gently, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. If you have a microwave: Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted.
- Add the hazelnuts into a food processor and blend them into a smooth paste. This takes 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, 3 Tbsp of melted chocolate and a pinch of salt. Blend again until the ingredients start to stick together, you want a moist and sticky mixture.
- Roll the paste with your hands into small balls and press each of them into a heart shaped cookie cutter. Basically, you have to work the truffle mixture as it was play-doh.Place the chocolate hearts in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Once they are set, coat them in the melted chocolate and place them on a tray lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some freeze dried strawberries on top straight away. Freeze again for about 5-10 minutes and then you can enjoy your homemade Ferrero Rocher.