Dark chocolate and roasted hazelnuts is a marriage made in heaven! These homemade Ferrero Rocher truffles are the most amazing chocolate treats you can make in only 30 minutes. Easy, vegan, packed with excellent health benefits and utterly delicious.
Really, I feel like an expert when it comes to these truffles. I was born in north Italy, exactly 35 miles away from the Ferrero’s factory that has been producing the popular Rochers and Nutella since the 80’s. As long as I can remember, Ferrero Rochers were always present in my family house. And I loved them when I was a child.
But many years later, I started making my own delicious Rocher truffles in the healthiest and easiest way possible. And to my great joy, they turned to be the best truffles ever: unbelievably good, indulgent and loaded with minerals and antioxidants. Really, I couldn’t have asked for more!
You have to try them, only with 5 super healthy ingredients that work like magic in no time.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Roasted hazelnuts
- Dark chocolate
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Maple syrup (or honey as a not vegan option)
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt (optional)
These incredible vegan truffles are very easy to make; basically blend all the ingredients together…
HOW TO MAKE THESE TRUFFLES:
- Melt the chocolate.
- Blend coarsely the hazelnuts and keep aside some chopped hazelnuts for the coating.
- Blend the rest into a smooth paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients plus 3 Tbsp of melted chocolate and blend again.
- Roll the paste into balls, place a hazelnut in the centre and freeze to harden for 5 minutes.
- Coat the truffles in melted chocolate and chopped hazelnuts and return them to the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Done.
They are delicious, easy, healthy and budget-friendly:
Flavor: It’s worth roasting the hazelnuts, you want to bring out their amazing and fragrant flavor.
Add a little pinch of salt, it’s optional, but surprisingly it helps to enhance the chocolate taste. You will be amazed.
I love the dark chocolate coating, it’s a bit on the expensive side, but it takes these truffles to the next level, making them luxurious, delicious and with a beautiful finishing touch. However, you can skip the chocolate coating just rolling your truffles in cocoa powder or in chopped hazelnuts if you like, that would save you time and money. In this case, you need to melt only a 1/3 of the chocolate bar for the truffle mixture.
Texture: the truffle mixture is soft and sticky, make sure it rests in the freezer for at least 5 minutes before coating the balls with melted chocolate.
Leftovers: If you do happen to have any left (seriously?! Haha), they will keep well in your fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 7 days!
This recipe is a winner, so easy and it never fails… Homemade Ferrero Rocher truffles, anyone? : )
f you make this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
HOMEMADE FERRERO ROCHER TRUFFLES, VEGAN AND EASY
- 1 cup (130gr) Roasted hazelnuts*
- 2/3 cup (100gr) 70% Dark chocolate bar
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or honey as a not vegan option)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- Roast your hazelnuts if they are raw, this step will take 10 minutes more: preheat the oven to 350F and spread the whole hazelnuts, in a single layer, evenly over a baking tray. Roast in the oven for about 8 minutes or until the hazelnuts are lightly colored and toasted.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water; cook gently, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 3 minutes. If you have a microwave: Place chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted.
- Keep aside 12 whole hazelnuts for the centre and add the rest into a food processor. Blend until chopped into small pieces.
- Keep aside 2 Tbsp of these coarsely chopped hazelnuts for the coating.
- Keep blending the rest of hazelnuts into a smooth paste. This takes 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract, 3 Tbsp of melted chocolate and a pinch of salt. Blend again until the ingredients start to stick together, you want a moist and sticky mixture.
- Roll the paste with your hands into small balls and insert a hazelnut into the center.
- Place the balls in the freezer for 5 minutes to harden.
- Add the 2 Tbsp of chopped hazelnuts to the melted chocolate (just make sure the melted chocolate is still runny and melted) and mix well.
- Once the balls are set, dip and roll them in the chocolate and hazelnut mixture and place them on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze again for about 5-10 minutes and then you can enjoy your homemade Ferrero Rocher.
- Store in an air-tight container, in the fridge. They should keep for about 7 days.