This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
A vegan and easy 2-ingredient ice-cream? YESSSS, it does exist!
Frozen banana, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a food processor are all you need for this creamy, delicious and low-fat chocolate banana ice cream.
Wait, let me explain: this is not a regular, store-bought kind of ice cream loaded with saturated fats, corn syrup, and calories.
This is a “nice cream”, the healthy alternative to traditional ice cream, in other words, the scrumptious guilt-free frozen treat you have been waiting for!
Plus, it’s inexpensive, ready in less than 5 minutes and your kids will love it. We all need this kind of recipe!
What ingredients you need
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Ripe frozen banana
How to make it
- Place frozen banana and cocoa powder in a food processor
- Blitz until smooth
I told you, this recipe is embarrassingly easy, it comes together in seconds and 1 serving costs less than 80 cents!
And it’s healthy: no saturated fats, no corn syrup, no flavorings.
This no-added-sugar chocolate and banana ice cream is low fat and packed with nutrients.
If possible, go for organic bananas, although a bit more expensive than conventional bananas, they’are definitely better for your health and for the planet.
Recipe notes & tips
For a sweet treat, use bananas that are very ripe and slice them into small chunks. Freeze banana slices in a freezer bag or on a plate lined with parchment paper. You want to keep the slices separate before they go in the freezer so they don’t get stuck together: you don’t want to break your food processor blending a big solid block of banana slices!
WHAT’S A NICE CREAM?
It’s simply banana-based ice cream. Frozen bananas have a pretty neutral flavor, but add sweetness and a creamy texture to other ingredients like cocoa powder or other fruit.
FOOD PROCESSOR OR BLENDER?
I usually make this chocolate and banana ice cream in my powerful food processor (Magimix), but if you use a blender make sure it’s a high powered blender: frozen banana slices are pretty tough and you don’t want to burn out the motor of your appliance.
If you love this healthy and easy chocolate and banana ice cream, you might also have a look at this 3-ingredient easy pineapple sorbet, vegan and delicious!
Ready to satisfy your sweet tooth with this creamy, awesome, and guilt-free treat?
If you make this recipe, leave a comment, rate it, or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram.
I would love to hear from you!
Chocolate banana ice cream
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into slices and frozen
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Slice the bananas into approximately 1/4 inch slices.
- Place them into a freezer bag or on a plate lined with parchment paper and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Add the cocoa powder.
- Process the ingredients for a couple of minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- You can have the soft chocolate banana ice cream straight away or, for firmer ice cream, you can transfer it to an airtight container and freeze it for about 1 hour.
- You can serve it plain, with melted chocolate (as shown in the picture) or crunchy chocolate nibs. Enjoy!