This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This simple roasted balsamic cauliflower makes a delicious, healthy and crowd-pleaser side dish.
Plus, it’s inexpensive, low carb and comes loaded with a host of health benefits, from reducing cancer to boosting brain health.
But first things first: it’s super easy to prepare! Quarter the cauliflower into 4 pieces and break them into florets, it can be thrown together in less than 5 minutes. Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and seasoning, toss everything together and roast. What could be easier than that?!
The result? Simply delicious! The balsamic vinegar, the parmesan and the caramelization from roasting add a yummy sweet and savory flavor to this beautiful and crisp veggie. Yes, the oven makes the humble cauliflower shine!
What ingredients you need
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
How to make it
- Break the cauliflower into small florets, wash and coat them in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and seasoning
- Roast for 10 minutes and then add grated parmesan cheese on top of each floret
- Return to the oven and keep roasting for a further 15 minutes, until soft and golden
Is cauliflower good for you?
Absolutely, YES. Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family, it’s very low on calories and has an impressive nutrition profile. It’s high in Vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants, which protect your cells from harmful free radicals and inflammation.
RECIPE TIPS & NOTES
When buying cauliflowers, look for veggies that feel firm, heavy for their size with densely packed florets. The leaves should be fresh and vibrant green which is a sign that the cauliflower was recently harvested.
Cut the cauliflower using a sharp knife, slice cauliflower in half from the top of the crown through the stem. Slice the core off of each piece and break the florets with your fingers. Make sure the florets are small and uniformly sized so that they will cook evenly and they will absorb more flavor.
Flavor: cauliflower is a wonderful and versatile veggie, it’s virtually a blank canvas for whatever seasonings you are in the mood for. Herbs, parmesan, lemon, garlic, paprika, curry, cumin… they all work beautifully with cauliflower.
In this recipe, I love the combination of tangy balsamic vinegar and toasty and caramelized parmesan cheese, it really makes the small cauliflower bites taste delicious.
I would advise cutting the florets bit-sizes because they cook better and hold more of the flavors and cheese. If time allows, marinate them for at least 30 minutes before roasting: they will absorb the maximum flavor.
How long does it keep?
Serve immediately, however, it keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If you make this roasted balsamic cauliflower, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Roasted balsamic cauliflower
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with oil.
- Stir the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and thyme together in a bowl. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. If time allows, leave it to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Spread the cauliflower out evenly on the baking sheet. Then drizzle with the remaining marinate.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top of the florets and return the pan to the oven. Keep roasting for a further 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately or still warm. Enjoy it.