This sheet pan Italian herb chicken is a light, quick and flavorsome all-in-one dinner, it’s so easy to assemble and a snap to clean up.
The juicy chicken is marinated in olive oil, garlic and plenty of aromatic herbs then roasted to perfection at 450 F for about 15 minutes. Fresh oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley add amazing flavor, but dry herbs are definitely cheaper and more convenient to use and they work just fine in this recipe. For my last minute meals, I usually go for Italian herb seasoning, dry oregano, and fresh rosemary (I have a huge bush in my garden!).
WHAT ABOUT MEAL PREP?
This sheet pan Italian herb chicken is simply delicious, juicy and fork-tender. It keeps very well in the fridge, it’s great either cold or warm, a perfect meal prep even if you can’t reheat it.
I know what you’re thinking now: cold roasted potatoes, really?! I promise, although the roast potatoes lose their crispness once stored in the fridge, mixing them with caramelized veggies and savory olives makes a super yummy meal to enjoy at your desk!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
- Fresh or dry Italian herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme…)
- Black olives (optional)
- Vegetables: potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini.
- Salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS ITALIAN HERB CHICKEN
- Marinate the chicken in olive oil, garlic, herbs, lemon juice, salt, pepper for 30 minutes
- Toss to evenly coat potatoes and zucchini batons with olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper
- Place potato and zucchini on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes at 450F
- Add chicken breasts, tomatoes, olives plus extra seasoning
- Roast for a further 15. Ready!
When it comes to roast chicken breasts, the most important things are the baking time and the seasoning.
Baking time: chicken breasts are an excellent source of lean protein, but they can quickly dry out when baked in the oven. The baking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts, roasting at 450 F should require a cooking time of about 15 minutes. I would advise you to check one of the breasts after 15 minutes: the flesh has to be white in the middle and the juice has to run clear (an instant-read thermometer should read at least 165F).
Flavor: salt, pepper, garlic and plenty of Italian herbs add an intense flavor to the chicken, and feel free to add more garlic if you like.
Plus, if time allows, it’s best to marinate the chicken in the Mediterranean marinade for at least 30 mins, this step will add lots of flavor to the chicken.
When I roast my veggies, I usually don’t line the pans with parchment paper. If I want caramelized, crispy and browned roasted chicken and vegetables, I just grease the non-stick pan with a tiny bit of oil and that’s it.
Another golden rule: arrange vegetables in a single layer and don’t overcrowd the pan. If the pan is packed too tightly, the vegetables will steam instead of roasting and caramelizing.
If you love this sheet pan chicken recipe, you might be interested in this garlic chicken “Milanese”, another yummy dinner and meal prep idea!
Let me know if you make this Italian herb chicken, I would love to hear from you!
Sheet pan Italian herb chicken and vegetables
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into batons
- 2 zucchini, cut into batons
- 4 medium-size tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Make the marinade: mix olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, minced garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss the chicken breasts well. Let them marinate for about 30 minutes and in the meanwhile prep your veggies.
- Cut zucchini and potato in max 1-inch batons.
- If time allows, place the potato batons into a bowl of cold water . Allow the potatoes to soak for about 20 minutes, then drain them and pat dry and return them to the bowl (this step will remove starch, making crispier roasted potatoes).
- Add zucchini batons to the bowl, olive oil, salt, pepper, dry herbs and garlic. Mix well to evenly coat.
- Preheat the oven to 450F and grease a non-stick pan.
- Place your veggies in the pan, in one layer, and roast for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat dry and after 15 minutes add it to the pan alongside tomatoes and a handful of black olives. This is the moment when you toss the vegetable and add extra seasoning to them and to the chicken breasts.
- Keep roasting for a further 15 minutes, turning the broiler or the top element for the last 5 minutes.*. Enjoy it!
An instant-read thermometer reads at least 165 F.