This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
This is one of our favourite recipes perfect for this season: a delicious and earthy mushroom couscous.
It tastes so good, it’s vegan, healthy and it makes a great meal prep ready in 20 minutes.
I also love some beetroot salad and hard-boiled eggs on the side: they add variety, different flavors and plenty of vitamins and protein. A budget-friendly combination that makes this mushroom couscous meal healthier and more substantial, in no time.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Israeli (or pearl) couscous
- Portobello mushrooms
- Spinach (optional)
- Cooked beetroots
- Feta (optional)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
WHAT TO DO:
Saute’ sliced mushrooms and spinach in some fragrant olive oil, garlic and onion. Cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in cooked Israeli couscous and cook for a further couple of minutes.
Place the couscous into the meal prep containers and add some boiled eggs and beetroot salad on the side. Done.
WHAT TO LOVE:
- It’s healthy and seasonal
- It tastes so good
- Quick and easy to make
- Ready in 20 minutes
- Packed with protein, veggies and grains
You will love Israeli couscous, it has a slightly chewy texture, similar to barley or pasta and it’s delicious as a salad. And this mushroom couscous tastes so good warm or cold and it’s so versatile, somewhere between a risotto and a salad.
Let me know if you make it, I would love to hear from you. Happy meal prep!
MUSHROOM COUSCOUS MEAL PREP IDEA
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach, thawed and squeezed (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups Israeli couscous
- 6 beetroot, cooked
- 4 eggs, hard boiled
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the couscous: heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium pot, pour in the couscous and stir to coat with oil. Toast for a couple of minutes, pour in 4 cups of water, salt (approx 1/2 tsp) and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to a simmer and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain off excess liquid. Alternatively, cook the couscous according to the package directions.
- Then heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, onion and sauté for 3 minutes until soft. Add the sliced mushrooms, the thawed and squeezed spinach, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the couscous and cook for a further couple of minutes, stirring. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Place the mushroom couscous into the containers. Add 1 hard-boiled egg per each container and some beetroot salad on the side. Topped with crumbled feta if you have it on hand.
- It keeps well in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Not freezable.
- You can drizzle the beetroots with some olive oil, salt and pepper.
Leave a Reply