This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more details.
Want to know the best things about these butternut squash fritters? They’re easy to make, economical and they taste delicious, crispy on the outside, and soft inside.
We love them becasue they taste a tiny bit sweet, as sweet squash is, but the sage and parmesan mellow that out so the fritters are more savory than you’d think they’d be.
Crispy, soft, good flavor, they get all of it!
Best of all, they’re baked, not fried in oil, and they’re packed with budget-friendly and healthy butternut squash. This is a highly nutrient-dense food with a range of fantastic health benefits, the perfect ingredient to turn simple fritters into a brilliant kid-friendly meal.
The whole family will love them, just make sure to prepare a big batch, because it’s impossible to eat just one!
What ingredients you need
- Butternut squash
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried sage
- Salt & pepper
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400℉/200℃
- Shred your butternut squash with the aid of a food processor if you can, it will take no time, but a mandoline slicer will work too.
- Then combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Grease a non-stick baking pan or line with parchment paper
- Shape the mixture into patties
- Bake them until brown and crispy, 10 minutes per side.
- Ready to serve, hot from the oven!
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS
How to boost the flavor
Butternut squash and aromatic sage is a marriage made in heaven, while parmesan cheese adds a burst of umami flavor and takes these little fritters to the next level.
Also, parmesan is quite high in salt, make sure to adjust the seasoning if you decide to skip it.
How long do these butternut squash fritters keep?
They keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days, perfect to take them to work or to sneak veggies into your kid’s lunchbox, my boy loves them!
If this is the season where you’re in love with winter squashes like me, this creamy pumpkin pasta and spicy pumpkin & carrot soup might other delicious options where you can easily swap butternut squash for pumpkin!
If you make these butternut squash fritters, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
Baked butternut squash fritters
- 4 cups butternut squash, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt*
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F° and grease or line with parchment paper a baking pan.
- Peel the butternut squash, chop it in half lengthways, remove the seeds and grate it. Measure 4 cups.
- In a bowl, firstly whisk flour and baking powder (I use self-rising flour) then add the shredded squash, eggs, sage, flour, parmesan, salt* & pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and form a ball. Place on baking pan and flatten slightly with your hand, so that each piece is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the fritters for 10 minutes, then turn them over and keep baking for a further 10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve while they’re still warm.