Want to know the best things about these butternut squash fritters? They are delicious and super easy to make, they are crispy on the outside and soft inside. Plus, they are healthy and they cost just a few bucks. Yes, you can have it all.
You need just a few ingredients and 10 mins of prep time, then let the oven do the rest of the work.
Last but not least, they are light, packed with nutrients and baked, not fried (I love this huge bonus, don’t you?!). Just make sure to prepare a big batch of them, because it’s impossible to eat just one!
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Butternut squash
- Parmesan cheese
- Flour (whole wheat or all-purpose)
- Dried sage
- Salt & pepper
HOW TO MAKE THESE BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRITTERS:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉/200℃
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease with oil (I prefer the second option)
- Shape the mixture into patties
- Bake them until brown and crispy, 10 minutes per side. Ready!
RECIPE NOTES & TIPS
Flavour: butternut squash and sage is a marriage made in heaven, while parmesan cheese adds a burst of umami flavor and takes these little fritters to the next level. Also, parmesan is quite high in salt and brings plenty of flavor, make sure to adjust the seasoning if you decide to skip it.
These butternut squash fritters are a tiny bit sweet, as sweet squash is, but the sage and parmesan mellow that out so the fritters are more savory than you’d think they’d be. They are just perfect, light, guilt-free and delicious!
When I roast my veggies, including these fritters, I don’t line the pans with parchment paper. If I want caramelised, crispy and browned roasted vegetables or fritters, I just grease the non-stick pan with a tiny bit of oil and that’s it.
Leftover: they keep well in the fridge for up to 2 days. We also took them to work!
These fritters make the perfect appetizers, side dishes, snacks, packed lunch, and they are a hit with the kids, a real bonus! This easy recipe is definitely a great way to turn your vegetables into a tasty and healthy meal.
If you make these butternut squash fritters, let me know. Leave a comment, rate it or tag a photo #theclevermeal on Instagram. I would love to hear from you!
BAKED BUTTERNUT SQUASH FRITTERS WITH PARMESAN
- 4 cups butternut squash, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt*
- 1 tsp dried sage leaves
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F (fan forced) and grease or line with parchment paper a baking pan.
- Peel the butternut squash, chop it in half lengthways, remove the seeds and grate it. Measure 4 cups.
- In a bowl, firstly whisk flour and baking powder (I use self-rising flour) then add the shredded squash, eggs, sage, flour, parmesan, salt* & pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and form a ball. Place on baking pan and flatten slightly with your hand, so that each piece is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake the fritters for 10 minutes, then turn them over and keep baking for a further 10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve while they're still warm.